Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
I have a bull with my cows. Yesterday he was laying flat on his side & figured I should go check on him. We drove out with a four wheeler and circled around him. I could not see him breathing, he had his tongue hanging out and eyes rolled back. My husband went up to him and pushed him with his foot between the eyes. On the second time he lifted his head up and stood up kinda dazed. Anybody ever have a bull so out of it like that? I thought it was very strange!

could be he ate some poisonous weeds, or was laying with his head downhill and was drowning

I get up a little dazed too , when someone puts their boot between my eyes. :shock: :shock:

Hopefully he was just in a deep sleep.. the only thing that makes me wonder is the tongue hanging out. I've definately seen them with their eyes rolled back in their heads (scared the crap out of me the first time I saw one like that) but never with their tongues hanging out. I'd keep an eye on him

I have never been able to walk up to any of our cows that were laying down on their sides (unless they were having calving problems) with out them getting up. I have never seen any with their eyes rolled back in their heads either. I'm sure that would scare the bejeezes out of me too. Can they really drown if they lay with their head downhill? Wouldn't they realize what was happening and rectify the problem?

sidney411":3dqmf5j6 said:
I have never been able to walk up to any of our cows that were laying down on their sides (unless they were having calving problems) with out them getting up. I have never seen any with their eyes rolled back in their heads either. I'm sure that would scare the bejeezes out of me too. Can they really drown if they lay with their head downhill? Wouldn't they realize what was happening and rectify the problem?

My brother had a 3rd stage cow lay down next to a barbwire fence, facing downhill. She was dead when he found her. The vet said her hips apparently 'rolled' under the fence, causing her to not be able to get up. Since she was facing downhill, he said she 'drowned' on her own body fluids.

Latest posts