bull

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I've had a registered Brangus bull for a few years now and haven't kept any of my heifers. This year I'm keeping two that are now 1 1\2 years old.
Is it time to get rid of my bull? I actually sold him to my father-in-law, but I can borrow him back if I need to. I haven't found a replacement yet.
what are the implications for inbreeding one time?
Thanks
Dan

danl":9ds0ud4g said:
I've had a registered Brangus bull for a few years now and haven't kept any of my heifers. This year I'm keeping two that are now 1 1\2 years old.
Is it time to get rid of my bull? I actually sold him to my father-in-law, but I can borrow him back if I need to. I haven't found a replacement yet.
Thanks
Dan

A statement a few weeks ago;

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, DON'T SO IT.

danl":3afree4g said:
Thanks
Dan

Line breeding can be great or a disaster. The best is to mate only half brother to half sister. that will only get you 50% of any one bull or cow in the pedigree. By using the sire on his daughters - you will get more than 50 % of his blood in the pedigree - problem. Best info on Linebreeding is "The basis of Linebreeding" by Jim Lents. Great reading - especially the first part of the book and the info on "linebreeding" from Bible. Jim can be reached at [email protected]. Linebreeding bring out the best - it also brings out any problems - so successful linebreeders are people who can cull problems early.