Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 14 good black heifers that I need to find a bull for. I am new at this and have never bought a bull. What do I look for? How old of a bull will do the job? How much should you spend on a bull? What about birth weight? Any advice will help.

[email protected]

A well developed yearling will work fine. Buy from an honest outfit, ask about their breeding garantee, and a reference or two.

Check out the epds watching the bw epd, keep it under +3.5 for Angus if your heifers are 700lbs or better. If you want to keep daughters, get a milk epd in the +10 to +15 range. A Yearling value of about +60 or a little better should give you decent performance without affecting calving adversely.

As for the bull, check his feet, and legs to make sure he moves well. Look for a narrow head and smooth shoulders. Actual birth weight under 85 pounds to match the bw epd of 3.5 as mentioned above. Make sure he isn't overfat, or underfed. Ultrasound if it is available will tell you how fat the bull is, .25 inches is about right at 1300-1400 pounds.

Ask for a semen test, (or BSE)and expect to pay between $1800 and $2500 (U.S.) for a good quality bull.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

A low birthweight Hereford bull would work good on Black Heifers especially if they are Angus. It will make Black Baldies which are excellent cows and have more hybrid vigor than either of their parents.

If you are only breeding 14, you might want to just rent a bull for 3 months. However, if you have a commercial herd as well, purchasing would be best probably.

[email protected]

an angus bull will give you no calving problems and a good selling calf. if you intend to sell the calves as feeders i would get a long stretchy angus bull for around 800. i wouldnt go to the expense of buying a high dollar bull for the first round. you could also rent if you could find a good young bull cheap. dont get one over 1100 lbs for the heifers. if you are going to keep the heifer calves the hereford would be good but you will have an occasional big calf, so you might lose a heifer. i would be more concerned with getting a light weight good selling angus calf the first round and then go for a better bull for the second calf. a limousin will give you and excellent cross or a hereford for the second calf and later.

I have 14 good black heifers that
> I need to find a bull for. I am
> new at this and have never bought
> a bull. What do I look for? How
> old of a bull will do the job? How
> much should you spend on a bull?
> What about birth weight? Any
> advice will help.

[email protected]

Latest posts