Bull won't eat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a prize-winning registered Belted Galloway bull in April of this year, in hopes of using him as my herd bull. He had been raised to be a competitor, and was grain fed from the beginning. He was a huge, beautiful specimen when I brought him here, but probably too heavy to be much good as a breeding animal- so I intended to slim him down a little. We brought him to our place, where all our cows are pasture (and hay) fed, and he has lost a LOT of weight and acts as though he feels bad. There is grass here for him to eat, but he spends most of his time lying around as if waiting for someone to bring him something. The females and little ones will be out on the pasture, but 30-40% of the time he's lying in the shade. I'm wondering if he's just been ruined by being babied all his life. If so, he's going to the sale, for I can't afford to feed him in the manner to which he's been accustomed. Does anyone have any experience with animals that were spoon-fed like this? Can they ever be converted to pasture? Does my theory make sense, or am I missing something important.

I HAVE dewormed him with Ivermectin (about 10 days ago), and there's no improvement since. I have NOT called in a vet as yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected]

Some of these heavy fed show bulls have liver abscesses, and a fast weight loss can cause ketosis or fatty liver. I'd personally call a veterinarian to examine before you decide what is going to happen....

Good Luck V

I would agree 100% with V the V.

But I would also try some probios, to get his gut started back up, if he has been off all feed, I am sure his reumen micro- flora has died off and will need some help getting goin again.

[email protected]

The vet was here this morning. It appears that this bull has a little pneumonia (no fever, but rapid breathing) and is anemic. He injected a subcutaneous anthelmentic, antibiotic and B vitamin shot. Blood samples were taken, and we'll watch his progress closely.

The vet agrees that these symptoms are a result (direct or indirect) of the shock to his system when was moved here from his pampered lifestyle. The rest of our cows are hale and hearty, and have been getting the same treatment and diet. If I had only known, I would have probably weaned him off his grain diet a little more gradually. He IS a registered Beltie, and I suppose there is something to be said for hybrid vigor. The other cows and calves (unregisted and probably "mixed") are thriving.

Based on this, I would just encourage anyone who is considering buying a "show" bull for use as a herd bull to be cautious...

Thanks for the input!

Rick

[email protected]