Bull won't drink

Help Support CattleToday:

RandomGuy91

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and to farming.
I have a question about my animal not wanting to drink water. 1 year old brown swiss bull, this week he won't touch any water I offer him. He keeps mooing after I leave the barn. I have tried different temperatures of water, his trough is clean and everything else seems normal. Any solutions or ideas to the problem?

Do you have a horse you could lead to water and show him how to drink?

I would say some sort of stray voltage also. Getting a shock of some sort when he touches the water. Maybe try a black fortex rubber bucket and see if he can drink from it. If so, then it is definitely some sort of electrical shock. Or try taking him out of the barn and seeing if he drinks water elsewhere. If so, again some sort of stray electrical voltage. What about eating? Is he eating hay or grain? If so then it is definitely in the electrical being conducted to the water in some way. Other than that, call the vet if he still won't drink.
Question, why a yearling brown swiss bull ? Are you planning on a dairy or something? The reason why I ask is you say you are new to this board and new to farming. A yearling bull is the last thing I would suggest a new to farming person start with. Not trying to be critical.... but dairy bulls are not what I would suggest anyone have unless they are experienced and have plenty of girlfriends to keep him happy.....

Bright Raven":1dxe7ydg said:
HSTexas":1dxe7ydg said:

Rude! The guy has a legitimate issue!

your right, I apologize to the poster.

I should try and model my behavior after, Inyati13/banned, margonme/banned, Bright Raven/ Pending .

HSTexas":1kxmh0mr said:
Bright Raven":1kxmh0mr said:
HSTexas":1kxmh0mr said:

Rude! The guy has a legitimate issue!

your right, I apologize to the poster.

I should try and model my behavior after, Inyati13/banned, margonme/banned, Bright Raven/ Pending .

Good boy. On apology. Be your own man.

Put your finger in the water to test for stray electric.

Is he possible getting water somewhere else?

I don't live in an area that snows but is it possible he's eating snow for a water source?

farmerjan":1purmj0c said:
Been over 5 days and no response from RandomGuy....... or thanks or anything
Looks like he hasn't been back since the 19th!

M-5":agp2ppp0 said:
A person will only last about a week without water. He may have perished while waiting for bull to drink.
Sounds like the most reasonable option!

Latest posts