Bull with steers ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I know that at times there is things that happen that are unexpected. With that in mind as a general question. It's time to move some cattle around. I winter my bull with my cow herd, but they are about 3 weeks from due dates on the AI cycle. So need to move the bull until late June, I have 3 freezer steers I'm raising, one is a long yearling and the other two are about 10 months. They will be in a 20 plus acre turn out, Is there much to worry about with the younger steers? I should add the bull is just short of 2 yrs.

Thanks,
Alan

I wouldn't think you'd have any problem. They should give him all the room he wants. I'm going thru the same thing here. Needed the Bull removed from my spring calving. Brought him out with two short bred heifers. So far he's doing O.K. Mid April he'll get some more company until he's back on the job late May.

good luck
fitz

I run my bulls and steers together 9 months a year . The smaller ones learn to stay out of the big bulls ways .

Ran em that way last summer My big red GV bull a yearling GV bull a long yearling Limflex bull and 2 long yearling steers. They were all there when we turned the 18month old red bull out with them. He arched his neck and walked up to them and they all walked over and licked his face and it was over. Not even one shove.

I've run Hereford bulls and steers together for a time every year. No problem since there is no question who's boss. I would assume same is true for other breeds but mine are all pretty mellow guys. The important thing is to get the bull out of the cow pasture before calving. Jmho.Jim