bull with excessive drooling

Help Support CattleToday:

Rockybottom

Reaction score
Limo bull 3 year old excessive drooloing, seems to eat fine, drink ok but in the last 10 days he seems to be drooling a lot. I checked out the mouth and no noticable problems.
Has anyone seen this before?

our horse get into I think its red clover blooms about once a year and look like foaming rabid dogs , don't know if cattle react the same or not

Rockybottom":2k7g70f0 said:
Limo bull 3 year old excessive drooloing, seems to eat fine, drink ok but in the last 10 days he seems to be drooling a lot. I checked out the mouth and no noticable problems.
Has anyone seen this before?

Where are you located?

It COULD be due to elevated body temperature caused by some sort of infection. I would look him over and see if you see there is an abcess someplace. I would be really tempted to run him through a PennG series. If I have to go through the trouble of running a bull into a squeeze chute to take his temperature, I am shooting antibiotics while he is there. Probably the best thing to do would be to phone your vet.

If he's eating red clover hay or grazing red clover stands that could be why. The slobbering and drooling is associated with a fungal disease of the red clover called black patch. Its not really a health threat and won't cause any illness in the animal, just drooling.

If the bull is eating second cutting clover, the problem other than what LM11 said. Could be seeds getting stuck between its teeth and slobbering to get them out.

Latest posts