Bull with cyst on his back

Help Support CattleToday:

weshtie

Reaction score
I have an 18 month old Hereford bull with a large cyst on his back, it is located in front of the pelvis, just behind the ribcage covering the whole width of his back. It is approx. 10 inches in circumference and is raised about 3 inches above the normal level of his back. I am just wondering if anyone has come across this themselves or knows of anyone who may have seen it, it would be a great help to get another opinion. Thanks.

Is he penned with other bulls? steers?

Picture?

My initial guess would be a hematoma/seroma from being ridden. You can leave it alone and observe or lance it and let it drain. Some of them resorb on their own and some get infected, just keep an eye on it. Also: If you're going to stick a needle into it you ought to open and drain it.... the only difference between a hematoma and an abscess is a needle.

he was out in the field with cows but no bulls or steers. We had the vet out and she lanced it, what came out was just blood and water. We have it stuffed with cotton wool which is soaked with antibiotic powder/iodine to draw out the fluid. This should work. Thanks for your reply.

Latest posts