bull with cows during calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

annedc

Reaction score
Hi
I'm pretty new to cattle breeding. We have just sold the steers that had been with our bull since weaning, so the bull is soon to be on his own. Is it okay to put him with the cows, who are about to begin calving? He's a very quiet 3-year-old poll hereford. I've had different opinions on this - some say they always take their bull out when the cows are going to calve, but someone else said the bull wouldn't bother them, and that he might keep away any marauding foxes.
Thanks
Annedc

The only reason for taking the bull away from the cows is to control your calving season. Bull shouldn't hurt the calves and Momma should take care of her baby.

After fall preg check we turn the bull back in with the bred cows. We pull him shortly before we start calving for comfort. The comfort being wandering around the pasture in the dark and not having to worry about him getting protective of something wandering around HIS girls in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your help with this one - I've got a female farm caretaker who I was battling with, so glad to have some back-up!

My bulls only run with the cows when they are breeding usually from Nov 15th to Feb 1st then they are pulled and they stay in the bull pasture
I don't want my cows bred except at certain times if you aren't worried when you calve then you can run your bull yr round

Pull the bull at calving and put him back when it is the right time. For example they calve in april and you want them to calve in april, then have him on vacation for three months. If you want earliest possible calving, just leave him there.

annedc":3hs3tcou said:
Is it okay to put him with the cows, who are about to begin calving? Thanks
Annedc

I wouldn't for 2 reasons. 1) A cow that has calved will come back into heat approximately 21 days following calving, and she can settle at that time. To expect her to support a very young nursing calf, as well as a developing calf is a heavy burden to place on her - especially if your calving season is due to commence soon. 2) To put the bull in with calving cows is going to put your calving season all over the map. Personally, I really dislike year-round calving because it is labor intensive, and you end up with a bunch of calves of widely varying ages and weights. Depending on your location, that can really hurt you come time to sell your steers. I don't believe I would worry about marauding foxes, the chances of a fox being able to take down a calf are not real high.

I don't believe I would worry about marauding foxes, the chances of a fox being able to take down a calf are not real high.

Its the cow's job to protect the calf and if foxes are your biggest concern you don't have much to worry about.

Young bulls usually get excited by all the hormones and smells associated with calving, and often they keep following the cow that is about to calf. More a nuisance than anything else, but I'd still try and keep them away.

msscamp":1grjf6gx said:
annedc":1grjf6gx said:
Is it okay to put him with the cows, who are about to begin calving? Thanks
Annedc

I wouldn't for 2 reasons. 1) A cow that has calved will come back into heat approximately 21 days following calving, and she can settle at that time. To expect her to support a very young nursing calf, as well as a developing calf is a heavy burden to place on her - especially if your calving season is due to commence soon. 2) To put the bull in with calving cows is going to put your calving season all over the map. Personally, I really dislike year-round calving because it is labor intensive, and you end up with a bunch of calves of widely varying ages and weights. Depending on your location, that can really hurt you come time to sell your steers. I don't believe I would worry about marauding foxes, the chances of a fox being able to take down a calf are not real high.
Sound Advice !!! :tiphat: