Bull with an attitude

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I was at a sale last week trying to buy a few bred cows (which are out of site at this present time) and with three head left they brought in this black bull. I'd say he's as close to a brangus as you could get , but not registered. He goes a shade over nineteen hundred and is very impressive. The auctioneer announced he was meaner than a hornet and the owner meant it. He bruised up two guys on the way into the ring. I couldn't tell you why but 900 dollars later I owned him(thought it was a pretty good buy). I Had him vacinated at sale then had him delivered to an 85 acre place that I dont have any cattle on right now. Is there any hope that he might settle down,and should I leave him alone awhile or put a few cows over there with him. I've had no contact with him yet as there is hay out as well as protein tubes. Someone was telling me to go in each day and feed him sweet feed to get him use to me. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Back your trailer up to the pen load him up , and take him back to the sale barn . even if you lose money you will come out ahead.

Rod":vtcbjlr2 said:
I was at a sale last week trying to buy a few bred cows (which are out of site at this present time) and with three head left they brought in this black bull. I'd say he's as close to a brangus as you could get , but not registered. He goes a shade over nineteen hundred and is very impressive. The auctioneer announced he was meaner than a hornet and the owner meant it. He bruised up two guys on the way into the ring. I couldn't tell you why but 900 dollars later I owned him(thought it was a pretty good buy). I Had him vacinated at sale then had him delivered to an 85 acre place that I dont have any cattle on right now. Is there any hope that he might settle down,and should I leave him alone awhile or put a few cows over there with him. I've had no contact with him yet as there is hay out as well as protein tubes. Someone was telling me to go in each day and feed him sweet feed to get him use to me. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Take him back to the sale barn before he kills you or a family member.

There is nothing like a little adventure in life is there Rod. Promise us no kids in the field.

WORANCH":3mlps7hi said:
Back your trailer up to the pen load him up , and take him back to the sale barn . even if you lose money you will come out ahead.

Very good advice and carry a large bore sidearm, second seek professional medical attention.

I doubt he will "settle down", regardless of how much sweetfeed he's fed. The fact that he was at that sale, and the owner warned of his meaness says something. If you plan to keep him, just be really careful. This sounds like a dangerous situation. Good luck.

Katherine

Agree with everyone! No bull, cow with any kind of attitude is worth keeping! Even the "best" temperament animals can occasionally get an attitude when they have a "bad hair day".

If any animal shows any kind of attitude, spookiness, etc., at a sale facility (or someone's ranch), then that is always a red flag.

Even if a bada$$ animal doesn't hurt anyone, they can always tear up fences, get out, etc...think "Liability".

I agree, send him back where he came from.

But, why in the world would you dump him on 85 acres with no company? Espically somwhere you are not at all the time. Are you sure he is even still there??????????

Oh he's still there, I gave him some feed while he was out in the pasture and then I got out of the lot. He ate and went back out. I havn't seen anything out of the ordinary about him, just been giving him his space. I've got some cows due to bull that I'm gonna put over there and then I believe I'll take everyones advice and send him on his way. I would just like To get a bull calf out of him first. I know everyone thinks I am nuts for even buying him but you would just have to see him to understand.

Now we can kid about this all we want...but here goes...
no1-why would you want a bad bull to breed your cattle and pass on that trait?
No2- why would you want to have to watch yr back everytime you are in the area with him, notice I did not say same pasture, because if he wants to, a fence is only an extra second or two between him and you.
No3-Do you want to constantly have to worry about your family and neighbors?
No4-check out the NIOSHA FACE reports that OSHA puts out, they keep track of agricultural deaths by catagory........guess what.........Death by bull is right up there near the top of the list. Tractor roll over of course being first.
No5-Gentle bulls are born everyday! Why keep a bad one when there are som many good ones to choose from?
No6-Imagine what will happen when he gets his harem together and they start to calve, and you need to go out among them for some reason.......you may be pulling a calf or working on one of the cows all the while trying to keep an eye on him?

Not to far from here, a father and son were killed by a Jersey Bull, they knew it was mean when they bought it a few days before,,,,,sound familiar?
As a younger man I got a taste of a angry bull in our milking parlor.......it was not fun nor exciting, and fortunatly my father took it serious enought that this bull was gone that day.
I recently posted about a bull that was too friendly that could hurt ya trying to play, reluctently, he grew wheels, but I dont want to worry about a bull or a cow that could hurt you either from meaness or playfulness...either way it hurts, and it's dangerous...a danger we dont need to worry about.

Now, you may think I am being a putz, a jerk about it, but I am not, I am trying to make as strong a point as I can. What you have there my friend is a loaded weapon with a hair trigger... you will never be able trust this animal or to predict when it will go off. If after reading this you are angry at me for writing what I have, I will understand, BUT I cannot impress upon you enough that you are taking a huge chance with this guy, you don't have too. lots of other bulls out there that you can trust much more... and McDonalds still needs hamburgers to sell..............

Running Arrow Bill":fyht9veo said:
Agree with everyone! No bull, cow with any kind of attitude is worth keeping! Even the "best" temperament animals can occasionally get an attitude when they have a "bad hair day".

If any animal shows any kind of attitude, spookiness, etc., at a sale facility (or someone's ranch), then that is always a red flag.

Even if a bada$$ animal doesn't hurt anyone, they can always tear up fences, get out, etc...think "Liability".

I am with Bill on this one why would anyone want to worry with the liabilty problems this bad boy might bring after being warned at the sale.

That bad boy would be going to the next sale or innoculated with a 45-70 not worth losing a life or everything you own over a loose cannon.

I think thats what Nicole Brown told her parents when they objected to her dating OJ Simpson for the first time(you would just have to see him to understand)....................and look what happend there? :cry: [/quote]

Rod":358erde9 said:

Perhaps you should p.m BullLady, she might help you out. :lol2:

Take some old cake broke cows out to him prety quick...just a couple that will come when you call. I wouldnt wait long to do it either. No offense but Im sure glad I dont have you for a neighbor....turning out a bull like that without any cows sure aint very neighborly.
Still, something dont sound quiteright...if he weighed 1900 pounds he oughter be worth a lot more than 900 dollars dead...he must have been a poor yielding bull to not bring any more than that

Take him to another salebarn that might bring higher prices. I am able to og to two real close and they are day and night different. Give them the same warning.

Scotty

The fact that the previous owner was pushing the fact that he was "meaner than a hornet" and he created problems at the sale barn should be enough warning that this is a dangerous animal. You do what you think best, but be careful, it's not just your property that can get damaged. There's your family & neighbors to think about, this is a accident waiting to happen.

;-)

His first problem nows going to be to get him caught again. Turn the cake broke cows out with him quick...then you can be figuring what to do next!!!!!

Latest posts