Bull weights

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I ran my herd through the alley scale this afternoon for the monthly weigh-in. Lots of interesting data. I was interested in calf growth rate, calf weight percent of dam weight as a function of calf age and trying to keep watch on cow weights as most are probably near max lactation needs and grass is slowing down. My bull (T21) has been breeding about 25 cows and heifers and I wanted to keep an eye on his weight.

T21 weighed in today at 1990 lb. He's 27 mo old. His weight has been +/- only about 20 lb since green up May 1. I take it that 2000 lb is his mature stable weight?

Do bulls reach a given weight and stop? He gets very little grain - just gentling/handling treats once a week or so. Not significant amount. What is a good weight range for a mature pure Hereford bull? He seems to have successfully bred a number of 750-850 lb (at the time of breeding) heifers with no problems I can see.

What is a good weight range for a mature bull and do you need to work to keep him there or let nature take its course on pasture like the rest of the herd?

Jim

kenny thomas":22cqeip0 said:
At 27 months I would think he will add some growth and weight.

I agree with kenny. From my experience he will be at his max at about 5 yrs. Probably will max at abt. 2200-2300.

What is a good weight range for a mature bull and do you need to work to keep him there or let nature take its course on pasture like the rest of the herd?

I believe for your target cow weight a mature bull will weigh around 2200-2300lbs. Personally I would let nature take its course, he will keep growing till about 3 1/2 from then on he'll just get thicker and heavier. If you plan to sell him for slaughter in the future it will typically pay to get him fat before selling him.

He will likely gain some weight during the off season. If your going to use him for breeding next year I would keep his weight gain down to 100 pounds or so.

SRBeef":2wh0uiq8 said:
I ran my herd through the alley scale this afternoon for the monthly weigh-in. Lots of interesting data. I was interested in calf growth rate, calf weight percent of dam weight as a function of calf age and trying to keep watch on cow weights as most are probably near max lactation needs and grass is slowing down. My bull (T21) has been breeding about 25 cows and heifers and I wanted to keep an eye on his weight.

T21 weighed in today at 1990 lb. He's 27 mo old. His weight has been +/- only about 20 lb since green up May 1. I take it that 2000 lb is his mature stable weight?

Do bulls reach a given weight and stop? He gets very little grain - just gentling/handling treats once a week or so. Not significant amount. What is a good weight range for a mature pure Hereford bull? He seems to have successfully bred a number of 750-850 lb (at the time of breeding) heifers with no problems I can see.

Jim

There is a chance he could hit 2,800 or more.

Latest posts