Bull weight loss, is it normal?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Turned a 20 month old bull in with about 25 cows/heifers, not all were open as some were fall calving. He was not fed heavy while he was away from cows but did get a little feed, hay and had access to a protein tub. Weighed about 1600 when put in with the cows and weighed 1450 this weekend. He looks ok, doesn't look fat just a lean look to him. They were just on grass since end of May when he was turned in, got just a little feed once in a while to get the herd up to spray for flies or to get calves up. Fall pasture was poor since it was so dry and hay was out for the last month.

Would that be normal for a working bull? He seems more active than my last couple bulls.

Completely normal. Just because no cows are coming into heat doesn;t mean he isn;t still busy(hoping) and checking them regularly. That means he's covering a lot of ground.

dun":3khyikmw said:
Completely normal. Just because no cows are coming into heat doesn;t mean he isn;t still busy(hoping) and checking them regularly. That means he's covering a lot of ground.
This bull is like another one I had, he likes to herd the cows for lack of better term.

I have one neighbor with cows, fences are probably 50 feet apart. If a cow or two goes over that way he goes there and pushes them back to the rest of the cows, if the whole herd goes he doesn't do it. Even in other areas if some get away from the rest he will push them back, just does it worse if they go near the neighbors. He seems pretty active while the last bull seemed lazy.