Bull "warranty / guarantee"

Help Support CattleToday:

My bulls are guaranteed as breeders from 15 months and older in BCS 4-8. If there is a suspected problem contact me so I can arrange to have a vet to do a health check and BSE on the bull. If the vet feels the bull has been adequately cared for and he fails his BSE I'll replace the bull with a suitable replacement or give your money back.

KNERSIE":38ne7yv2 said:
My bulls are guaranteed as breeders from 15 months and older in BCS 4-8. If there is a suspected problem contact me so I can arrange to have a vet to do a health check and BSE on the bull. If the vet feels the bull has been adequately cared for and he fails his BSE I'll replace the bull with a suitable replacement or give your money back.

Do you have them tested before they leave your farm so that you have a baseline measurement?

3waycross":8385il17 said:
KNERSIE":8385il17 said:

Do you have them tested before they leave your farm so that you have a baseline measurement?

That depends on the price and the customer, as well as the age of the bull. Most of my yearling bulls go to small commercial customers who are repeat customers, they trust me to provide them with a fertile bull without adding more cost to the purchase price. If it is an older higher priced bull I always give the buyer the option of having him tested first, but the test is for his account if there is no problem.

Tommy Ruyle":3spbm7ik said:
For you pure bred breeders; how do you sell you bulls? Do you offer any warranty or guarantee as to their "sire ability"?

We guarantee our bulls for a year. That they'll breed cows, not that they won't get hurt or struck by lightening, etc. They have a current BSE before they're shipped. With local sales, we try to get the buyer to be on hand while the vet does the exam.

Bull is breeder, covered for one breeding season. No BSE done. My examination consists of monitoring the prospective bull for herd bull characteristics, beginning at birth. If bull a non-breeder, owner ships animal, shows me the market slip, at which point I cover the remainder left, as well as provide compensation that we can agree to. I would suppose something like $20+ a head for every cow that wasn't bred. Never been in the situation before. Never had a complaint about any of my bulls for breeding. When visited during the breeding season, and the following year, have always seen lots of little whitefaces running around. :cowboy:

All of our bulls are semen checked and examined by a vet prior to delivery. We guarentee them for one breeding season. Will replace or return money. Never had a problem. We test all of our own bulls also had a six year old that looked fine but lost the use of one testical over the winter would have never thought that from a visual inspection. 30 dollars is a cheap insurance policy that the bull is ok.

I would not let a bull I purchased come to my place with out being examined by a vet.
Jeff

As a buyer all I expect is for the bull to be fertile the first season. If something happens to him after he is here that's my problem, not the sellers. That said, I want to see the BSE paperwork and a health/vaccination record for him.

Everything in the cattle business takes a very long time, as I am finding.

Cows not bred when expected are EXTREMELY expensive in several ways.

I would noteven consider buying any bull who had not had a RECENT BSE and all shots, regardless of age.

Even my own bull that had a very good bredding seasopn last year had a BSE by a vet at my place before going in with the cows and heifers this year. -30 deg F winters can affect his ability to do his job. The BSE cost about $65 for a separate vet visit (my regular vet doesn't do BSE's there is another vet in the area who seems to do them all). A very good investment and I learned a lot.

If you don't find out if he's shooting blanks until preg check time a couple months later, you are off schedule for a year or even longer. VERY expensive. I don't want to have to use a warranty, I need calves. The BSE is pretty cheap assurance.

Tommy Ruyle":3ss5xyqk said:
For you pure bred breeders; how do you sell you bulls? Do you offer any warranty or guarantee as to their "sire ability"?
We do a BSE on the bull, and then guarantee them to be able to breed for 1 breeding season. If the bull doesn't work out, we get a vet to check the bull and go from there as to whether or not the bull's problem is the fault of the breeder.

Latest posts