bull vs. steer

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
I have a bull appox 18 months old that is to be my beef this year and wondered if the beef would be better or worse as a bull rather than a steer? He will have been on grain about 70 days and aged about 14.

meboyles":386c4oe8 said:
I have a bull appox 18 months old that is to be my beef this year and wondered if the beef would be better or worse as a bull rather than a steer? He will have been on grain about 70 days and aged about 14.

It's probably too late now, but a steer will marble better than a bull.

ArrowHBrand":1yiiv5rc said:
Steers are usually better because they lack the hormones that will make a bull taste a bit "off".

You mean taste like BEEF.

dun":6ks9e9xe said:
ArrowHBrand":6ks9e9xe said:
Steers are usually better because they lack the hormones that will make a bull taste a bit "off".

Um no. Testosterone will have an effect on flavor. Just like deer hunting, if you shoot a spooked deer he is going to taste different than one you shot that didn't know what hit him. The adrenaline in a spooked deer will flavor the meat and make him more gamy. In cattle the sex of the animal and what you feed the animal will effect it's taste.

We've eaten a lot of bull beef, mostly from older animals. It has flavor that most baby steers haven;t developed by the time they get wacked. Never have been able to tell the difference in a 4-5 year old bull and a 4-5 year old cow. But then again, I prefer the tatse of the meat from a properly taken care of buck to that of a youngster.

dun":1fa7rrh6 said:
We've eaten a lot of bull beef, mostly from older animals. It has flavor that most baby steers haven;t developed by the time they get wacked. Never have been able to tell the difference in a 4-5 year old bull and a 4-5 year old cow. But then again, I prefer the tatse of the meat from a properly taken care of buck to that of a youngster.

I agree on the flavor of a mature animal. This year my son killed a 5 point bull Elk and another family member killed a very young calf Elk by accident. The calf was tender but had no flavor. The bull which was very fat was the best tasting Elk we have had in years.

In response to another post the thing that gives a spooked animal an off flavor is not the adrenilan but what is left after it burns off which is Lactic Acid. It takes hours to days to leave the meat, depending on the metabolic rate of the animal in question.

Having said all that I would still steer em young and eat em early when it comes to beef.

We will very often eat a bull that shall we say does not graduate with top honors from the bull test.

These bulls are usually harvested between fifteen and eighteen months of age.

Processed by the same guy who does our steers.

I actually have gotten to where I would prefer meat from the bull.

tender at that age and very flavorful. But they have been on good feed for the duration of the test.

ArrowHBrand":1a61zz3z said:
dun":1a61zz3z said:
ArrowHBrand":1a61zz3z said:

Um no. Testosterone will have an effect on flavor. Just like deer hunting, if you shoot a spooked deer he is going to taste different than one you shot that didn't know what hit him. The adrenaline in a spooked deer will flavor the meat and make him more gamy. In cattle the sex of the animal and what you feed the animal will effect it's taste.

That could be true for a herd bull that has been used for a few years, but it is not true for an 18 month old virgin bull - trust me on this. ;-) :lol: :lol:

BlackThunder":9o0kff04 said:
I dined at a restaurant with aged Angus beef. Do they mean young meat aged in the freezer or older bull meat?

Most likely young beef aged wet/or dry for around 21 days

Limomike":2iv6h9dy said:
Ok msscamp. How do you know? Do tell...

How do you think? :lol: We butchered several over the years, in fact we are currently eating one. Maybe it's the breed, but the meat is delicious - nice and tender, too! ;-)

My understanding is that the US is one of the few countries that routinely castrates beef cattle. Anyone here from Europe or elsewhere who has knowledge of the practice in other countries?

Latest posts