Bull vs heifer weight

Help Support CattleToday:

jwimberly

Reaction score
I've got a few yearling heifers that I'll need to get bred in the next couple months. I know they're too small right now for my herd bull at 1750 pounds. In the reading I've done I've seen recommendations from 50% to 80% of his weight. Well that's a pretty wide range at 875 to 1400 pounds. What do you guys usually shoot for? His birth weights on my commercial cows have been 60-90 pound range.

What is your concern? If they are old enough and as big as you desire them to be then I wouldn't be concerned about the bull weight.
In nature the biggest, strongest male gets the female.

I'd say go for it if you feel your heifers are old/big enough. I've never heard of a bull formula either. What type of cattle are they? Good luck.

Coosh71":pmfz4sbj said:
I'd say go for it if you feel your heifers are old/big enough. I've never heard of a bull formula either. What type of cattle are they? Good luck.

They are just black commercial heifers. My main concern is the Hereford bull's weight on an 850 # heifer. His calves are pretty consistent at 60-90 pounds so not too worried with calve size just physical size. He won't break down a young heifer at over double their weight?

Once heifers are of desired age/size put them with the bull. Thats it, thats all.

I have had 4-5 month old calves get bred by herd bulls.

If you're 250 would you have a problem laying it to a 125lb woman?

It really depends on the bull, some bulls put a lot of their weight on a cow, others don't.. My heifers were somewhere in the 8-900 lb range and the bull is 2400.. no problem at all with him.

Ive found if there is a few to breed the bull wont spend a lot of time with each heifer, is on and off quick and gets the job done. Sometimes cows can be more of a problem chasing and mounting a heifer she has taken a shine to until the heifer can barely stand.

jwimberly":1d4ji3t2 said:
Coosh71":1d4ji3t2 said:

They are just black commercial heifers. My main concern is the Hereford bull's weight on an 850 # heifer. His calves are pretty consistent at 60-90 pounds so not too worried with calve size just physical size. He won't break down a young heifer at over double their weight?

Like others have said. I wouldn't worry about that. If we all had to factor in herd sure weightvs heifer/cow weight we would all have 1200# herd sires and would ALL be broke as a joke lol. Don't over think it. Yes there is a chance when breeding heifers, that they may pull a muscle or tweak a hip. But, that's also just a "good" Saturday night...Put the bull on when you are ready for however long you choose and see how it goes.

We had 2300lbs bull breed some heifers last summer on accident and it was just fine.

We had a bull that would lift both rear feet off the ground when he "hunched" them. Used him to breed a heifer once and he rode her straight to the ground a few times before I separated them. Cows handled him fine.

I'd say it all depends on the bulls technique.

Many people worry about using a "mature" bull on a heifer. I think mature cows do more potential damage to a standing heifer than any bull. A cow will mount and stay on forever. A bull gets up, does his job & gets off.
The only reason to be concerned with size of heifer is projected calving size - big enough.
Yes, some bulls are harder than others. But, he is also harder on cows. Might not want to keep a bull around like that.

Supa Dexta":p7rad0hk said:
Once heifers are of desired age/size put them with the bull. Thats it, thats all.

I have had 4-5 month old calves get bred by herd bulls.

If you're 250 would you have a problem laying it to a 125lb woman?

Copenhagan on the screen

Latest posts