Bull too young ?

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy

Reaction score
I'm interested in opinions on the age of young bulls for successful mating .
I have 15 cows and 6 heifers to mate and have been offered a pretty nice young bull at a good price. He would be just over 13 months when I need to start mating - do you think this is risky or should age just be one factor as well as size,weight, scrotal.
I've used plenty of "yearling" bulls in the past but they are usually 15 months plus at time of use.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Goddy

By the old rule of thumb you are exceding his potential by 50%. I suppose if you are in no hurry to get your calving season over he will eventually get them all bred.

I think you are right 3way - I always like to get calving season over so would be pushing it a bit to expect that to happen.

What might work though is if you can get them all synched and AI them all then let him clean up the stragglers.

Now thats a thought - would give him time to develop and potentially give a higher quality calf crop from the AI ( if I chose the right bull of course ! ).

goddy":33bg52fs said:
Now thats a thought - would give him time to develop and potentially give a higher quality calf crop from the AI ( if I chose the right bull of course ! ).

You could also end up with some nice heifers that you could use him on later.

3waycross":3n7t1m9l said:
What might work though is if you can get them all synched and AI them all then let him clean up the stragglers.

I like that idea, AI them and let your bull come in later to clean them up. I do that and most times the young clean up bull gives you some really nice calves.

No one has ask the question "what breed is the bull" that makes a differance ??? Jersey no problem he can breed young ,Brahman good luck he would be probly to young.

BRYANT":1dekl3zq said:
No one has ask the question "what breed is the bull" that makes a differance ??? Jersey no problem he can breed young ,Brahman good luck he would be probly to young.

We're talking about a Red Angus.

goddy":1qkihtpx said:
BRYANT":1qkihtpx said:

What's his weight, how was he finished, Scrotal?, frame score,BSE? Lots of questions. 13months is pretty young. don't overextend him or you may pay for it later,

3waycross":y53yxgke said:
goddy":y53yxgke said:
BRYANT":y53yxgke said:

What's his weight, how was he finished, Scrotal?, frame score,BSE? Lots of questions. 13months is pretty young. don't overextend him or you may pay for it later,

Seems like you read my question list for my next conversation ! Thanks 3 way for taking the time to give solid, sensible input.

Goddy