Bull too young to produce a quality calf???

Help Support CattleToday:

garyws

Reaction score
My plans for this young 10 mo old Angus bull were to possibly breed him at 2 years old. However I just saw him attempting to breed a 3 yr old Angus cow in standing heat. Don't know if it will consummate in a pregnancy or not because of the difference in their height.
Question is, if he did manage to impregnate her will the offspring be of any quality at all? The little fella is out of a registered bull, is very healthy, and of decent confirmation. His mama is of unknown lineage but is Angus.
I will appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Same quality calves if he's 10 months as 5 years. We BSE our bulls at 10-11 months and turn them straight out with the cows if they pass. Haven;t had on in years that didn't pass or get the job done

dun":47s2f3it said:
Same quality calves if he's 10 months as 5 years. We BSE our bulls at 10-11 months and turn them straight out with the cows if they pass. Haven;t had on in years that didn't pass or get the job done

Very helpful. Many thanks!

garyws":32yqsrii said:
My plans for this young 10 mo old Angus bull were to possibly breed him at 2 years old. However I just saw him attempting to breed a 3 yr old Angus cow in standing heat. Don't know if it will consummate in a pregnancy or not because of the difference in their height.
Question is, if he did manage to impregnate her will the offspring be of any quality at all? The little fella is out of a registered bull, is very healthy, and of decent confirmation. His mama is of unknown lineage but is Angus.
I will appreciate any ideas. Thanks!
Where there's a will there's a way! I've seen a couple of our 2000 lb cows stand on an incline to get bred by our younger bulls. It's painful to watch but I gotta give the little guys credit. Quality is in the lineage/EPD's but such at young age his swimmers may not be up for the Olympics.

A friend of mine had his neighbors miniature brahma bull get in with his cows and he didn't think to much about it until he started having really small calves. I told him he must have snuck up behind them while they were sleeping :lol:

Years ago I did a trade with a guy for a piece of equipment I had. He was to provide 20 trestle ties, 20 sections of PSP and 6 bred long heifers. Had to pull every calf. Idiot couldn;t understand, he used a young small charolais bull and expected the calves to be small becusae the bull was young and small.

Latest posts