Bull to critique...

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Hard to get a good picture of him but here he is in his everyday clothes.
Calves08083e.jpg

Calves08081e.jpg

Calves08078e.jpg

Two year old Lim...so far 50/50 bulls to heifers

he is a nice looking bull.would like to see him when the grass greens up.i bet he throws some nice looking calves with lots of meat on them.

Like we always say, it's hard to tell by pictures. I am no expert on the Lim's, but he just doesn't seem very deep. He is a nice looking bull, but I just don't see the depth.

never2old2learn-ron":dgl8n39w said:
Like we always say, it's hard to tell by pictures. I am no expert on the Lim's, but he just doesn't seem very deep. He is a nice looking bull, but I just don't see the depth.

I agree with you. I don't think this bull has enough thickness either. He could have a deeper flank too. I'd also like him to be more structurally correct. Other than that, he appears long enough and very masculine. Also has a long of muscle carried down into his lower 1/3. He'll get the job done, and is better than what is typically shown here.

Here are some of his calves
Calves08069e.jpg

Calves08053e.jpg

Calves08075e.jpg

The angus cows threw nice well porportioned calves the Herfs and baldies are a bit leggy but look good

I dont generally like black lims. I subscribe to the way of thinking that "if its not red its crossbred".

However, I like this bull. He is thick and long, has great bone and is very masculine. He is carrying a helluva lot of red meat.

I disagree with the depth comments. Limos generally arent deep animals and for a limo this guy is pretty good in that regard.

Pretty good shoulder on him.

From the pictures he looks post-legged -- but he isnt standing square in the pictures so I cant comment definitely on that.

I like him, he is longgggg and has a butt..like we have some limo crosses so seen the leggy look, they carry some weight on them. Nice calves. donna

Nice bull. I'd like to see a bigger barrel, but that's being picky. Nice looking calves, too. Specially that first little black buggar, looks like a pistol. Just for my curiousity, what's the temperment like on his calves?

never2old2learn-ron":q6fk6ei2 said:

Good looking bull, he is plenty deep for a 2 year old. Fraid some folks think that a big gutted bull is deep, wrong if that bull is loaded with muscle then he is a deep bull. Seen far too many ....Quote.... deep bulls that were nothing more than fat butter balls. Looks as if he has a decent scrotal, would like to see those cods have more of a football look, but who knows...it looks cold there and those suckers are drawn up. Whos he out ,of looks like a little First Down breeding

Jogeephus":tylj197y said:
Looks to me like he would put some very nice calves on the ground. I'd use him.

Based on the pics of the calves, I'd be glad I did use him. Those would fetch a pretty penny here. Black calves with no meat are a dime a dozen here, fleshy ones as pictured will sell well. Good selection Dave.

I like him he is a good looking 2 year old he still has a lot of growing to do yet and look's like he throwed some fine calve's.To me that's the measure of a good bull.

rattler

He is the most dostile animal on the place, odd seeing that he had a DOS EPD of 1. His bull calves are just as calm, the heifers are skiddish.
The folks that we buy our Lims from JKOR really work their bulls and all are well halter broke. Last year this wasn't the bull that we went to look at but once I walked around and saw his rear and the fact that he walked right up and gave me a sniff he was the one that we bought.
Thanks for the comments.
DMc

goddy":1uf3cyir said:
JR Cattle Co.":1uf3cyir said:
Needs to be more level from hooks to pins, and deeper bodied.

WHY ?

Better it looks prettier in the show ring :roll:

This is one thing about most of the american show calves pictured on this forum, the showmen strive for a very level hip to pin, when we know that an angle down from hips to pins makes for easier birthing. It happens in all species. Have a look at most truly wild herbivores (such as some of the South African animals) you will see they have the slope from hip to pin.

It makes me ANGRY! and ANNOYED! to see the show ring favouring non-functional traits :!:

Keren":13qt8ltq said:
goddy":13qt8ltq said:
JR Cattle Co.":13qt8ltq said:
Needs to be more level from hooks to pins, and deeper bodied.

WHY ?

Better it looks prettier in the show ring :roll:

This is one thing about most of the american show calves pictured on this forum, the showmen strive for a very level hip to pin, when we know that an angle down from hips to pins makes for easier birthing. It happens in all species. Have a look at most truly wild herbivores (such as some of the South African animals) you will see they have the slope from hip to pin.

It makes me ANGRY! and ANNOYED! to see the show ring favouring non-functional traits :!:

My thought exactly - the old " lets make it look this way and see if it performs " against " it performed and this is what it looks like " argument.

Theres surely enough visible functional traits to concentrate on without trying to impose these non-functional ideals as well.

You are so right Keren in that the show ring as a lot to answer for in just about every breed/species that is involved in showing.

cheers

Goddy

A nice looking bull and looks like the calves he throws are good quality as well. However if I could change one thing it would be the slope from hooks to pins.

Hope those calves sell well for you.