Bull test pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I have two bulls in a growth test that are due to finish next week. The bulls have transponders around their necks that activate the feeders you see in the background so that every bull's exact intake is measured. A standard ration is fed country wide, but for indexing and the resultant merits awarded only the test centre in question's 10 year average is used.

IMG_6237.jpg

Both the herefords are mine, the angus belongs to about 5 different breeders.

IMG_6241.jpg

The college hosting the bull test centre has the oldest Percheron stud in the country, unfortunately mechanization and adapted work methods has just about taken the horses out of their work, but they are still being bred here for the novelty value and sentimental reasons. BTW its mrs Knersie in the photo.

IMG_6245.jpg

If I was the owner of those Angus I wouldn't want your Herefords to stand next to them.. ;-) Interesting how they do the feed tests, do you also dna for BF and marbling as well ?

Where we adopted our Llama from they have a Percheron team. Beautiful horses ,so very majestic. Mrs Knersie looks like she might want one for herself .. :)

Angus Cowman":1b3t6ji8 said:
Bulls look good as always
Looks like you guys got some rain the pasture where the horse was sure is green you wife looks likeshe is ready to take him home
think of all the cows you could raise on the grass that monster eats

Unfortunately we didn't get a drop of rain, I'm about two hours east of the bull test centre. We are already two months into our rainy season and didn't have a drop yet.

Luckily mrs K is very afraid of horses. ;-)

Interesting how they do the feed tests, do you also dna for BF and marbling as well ?

You mean especially since its a 3rd world way where we are more interested in how much feed the bulls need to gain rather than seeing how fat they can get? The bulls are RTU scanned for ribeye area, IMF and BF and hip height, body length and SC measured at the completion of the test.

No, I mean in general, it is interesting how feed tests are done. Country of origin has nothing to do with it.
Also I have never thought of SA as third world; especially since they are on the leading edge in medicine, also some of the best MD's and vets in the world , not to mention produce some very fine wines .. We actually had a really nice wine from SA with our Mother's Day dinner last night.:D

I sure hope you all get some rain soon.

Latest posts