Bull Sucking Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
We have an 18 month old Simm bull that has been weaned for 11 months. Saw him sucking on a dry heifer a few weeks ago. She has calved since then and does not stand to let him nurse now. I've seen some nose guards, rings, and gadgets to stop this but have never used any of them. Anyone had this problem? What did or didn't work? Selling him is not an option right now.

Yes, I had the same problem with a bull one time. Some cows & heifers would let him suck, some would try to walk away and a few would try to kick the hell out of him. I really don't think you can "cure" him of this and you might not be able to find one of those nose attachments that would be large enough to fit him and even then it might not work worth a damn. Reluctant as you may, I would urge you to get rid of him as soon as possible, before you have a bunch of newborn calves on the ground that suffer greatly from lack of maternal milk. Good luck, Arnold Ziffle

WORANCH":nafxpmn1 said:
put a ring in his nose, that will slow him down

I've used a homemade contraption made out of a tin can cut at the seam and unrolled with little holes put in it with a churchkey type can opener. The sharp points pointed in. This was then wired through the bulls nose like a ring. The tin can hung down over the nose- allowed him to graze-but whenever he tried to nurse it would push the points of the can into his nose and change his mind. Didn't take long to educate them. Never tried just a ring, but it might hurt enough to stop him too.

i haven't seen one of those spike weaning devices since i was a little kid, my grandpa would use it on calves. your bull will only cause problems if he can get away with that. i have seen a lot of heifers do this even when big enough to be bred and about the only solution is to get rid of them. :p :kid: :!:

I've got a heifer doing the same thing right now. She's a smart little cuss too! She waits for the cow's calf to start nursing and then she joins it, so as to not be shooed away by the momma cow. I'm not sure if this just a fluke or if the heifer's mother is light on milk. Better figure that one out.

D.R. Cattle":35kocyi7 said:
I've got a heifer doing the same thing right now. She's a smart little cuss too! She waits for the cow's calf to start nursing and then she joins it, so as to not be shooed away by the momma cow. I'm not sure if this just a fluke or if the heifer's mother is light on milk. Better figure that one out.

yep. every once in a while you'll get a thief. they also like to catch the cows at the hay ring & nurse from behind.

I have seen this problem before and have seen one pretty good idea that really works great. First put a ring in his nose and then take multiple pieces of barbed wire and tie to the nose ring, wrap them so the cut off ends go in many directions, this will poke him in the nose and will poke the cow in the udder and she will turn around and push him or kick him. I don't know how this would work with a calf at the side, but we have done this with calves in the feedlot before.

Latest posts