Bull steps on his tool!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just wanted to post this question...My pride and joy 28 month old Brangus bull was breeding a cow and obviously, stepped on his tool. He is swollen up to about the size of a softball. and my vet suggests either putting him in the freezer, or getting him to the sale. Is this common in breeds with a low sheath, does it happen with say Euro. breeds as well? I'm now in a predicament as to what breed bull to replace him with..Really liked his disposition and am awaiting his first calves in December. ANY suggestions would be highly appreciated.

[email protected]

Bulls with Pendulous shealths, mostly of Bos Indicus breed type, often have this problem. Some can be rehabilitated, Hydro-therapy 1-2X a day for 20-30 min. as well as a sling protecting "the tool", sling can be made from a large section of burlap sack, tied with strips of rubber tube, (cul up inner tube from an old tire), the burlap allows urine to flow out while preventing penis from danger of reinjury. The process may take upto 30-45 day and is very effective yet very labor intensive.

I raise Limousin, and would recomend a Limi bull be used to replace him, if you did not want to do the rehab or lose 45 days of breeding. The rehab does not always work, bull should have a BSE performed, preferable where live mounting can be observed to see proper errect penis, and observation of any abnormalities, I would call ABS to find out where a close Bull stud was in your area. We are in Central Texas and this injury is common here among ranches in our area, the rehab is the prefered method of recovery if at all possible.

[email protected]

> Just wanted to post this
> question...My pride and joy 28
> month old Brangus bull was
> breeding a cow and obviously,
> stepped on his tool. He is swollen
> up to about the size of a
> softball. and my vet suggests
> either putting him in the freezer,
> or getting him to the sale. Is
> this common in breeds with a low
> sheath, does it happen with say
> Euro. breeds as well? I'm now in a
> predicament as to what breed bull
> to replace him with..Really liked
> his disposition and am awaiting
> his first calves in December. ANY
> suggestions would be highly
> appreciated. I have had this problem before with a prize bull..I took him for surgery at Auburn University..to take up his sheath..but it did not work..It made him sterile..My bull kept stepping on his sheath as he attempted to stand up after laying on ground. good luck

[email protected]

Follow your vet's advise. The bull is half of your cattle herd and taking a chance on rehab, the work the time, safety etc. is seldom worth it. You can probably replace him with out too great expense with another of like disposition and will have a sire you can depend on.>

Just wanted to post this
> appreciated.

[email protected]

You hate to lose a good bull, but follow the vet's advice. Chances of getting him back to work aren't very good. You can likely find a Brangus bull with a clean sheath if you wanted to stay with the breed. If you're in Texas, the Camp Cooley sale is in November. Or, if you decide to change breeds, look at Angus. There are lots of them around and their calves often bring a premium at market. Good luck...

[email protected]

When you have a bull worth more than most people's homes you rehab, when it is just a pasture bull that can be replaced for under $3000, buy a new one.

Nothing wrong with us people!

[email protected]

> Just wanted to post this
> appreciated.

Replace with a good Murray Grey Bull.

> A couple of years ago the reserve champion bull at a breed show I attended only had one testicle, ( seamon tested out ok though.) The purpose of selling high priced bulls is to improve the breeds genitics, not supply hot house flowers that explode in one trait , when they can breed, if they can breed, The one testicled bull should not have been sold into a breeding program, (unless extensivly line bred to insure this problem was not a heritable trait, and who has the time to watch generations of calves to check for this,) Excesivly pendelous sheaths should not be propgated either, granted it's hard to cull an animal that is the epitime of a breeding program in so many other ways but there is always a better bull out there someplace and if you're cull rate isn't heavy then youre breeding average cattle, no matter what the price you can convince someone to pay

[email protected]

I agree with all of that. A bull with one nut is not a sound breeding animal, but you can't go around the whole country and force folks to sell their bulls and buy new ones if they don't want to. The bulls I have dealt with, people pay to board and rehab the animals, you don't argue with them, you just do it, its a paying job.

[email protected]

Latest posts