Bull slipped on ice

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason1040

Reaction score
Looks like I had a bull that must have slipped on the ice. Last night he was moving fine, but tonight he had quite a limp. Hoping to give it a few days and see if he starts healing up. Anything else I should be doing, or watching for?

Jason1040":3g7lk116 said:
Looks like I had a bull that must have slipped on the ice. Last night he was moving fine, but tonight he had quite a limp. Hoping to give it a few days and see if he starts healing up. Anything else I should be doing, or watching for?

My dog just did the same thing. She's doing better after a couple days (although it caused her to have a rare "accident" in the house. Hopefully you don't have that problem ;-)
Hopefully some others will weigh in. I would bet: anti-inflammatory and pen him close to feed so he can rest a bit maybe? Then vet if not better soon? (Assuming no evidence of a break etc, and that you're quite sure it was the ice, not infection, eg). Will see if the old hands agree with this quasi-newbie!

When we see a limp we pen them up so we can get a good look at him. We have had one split a hip by slipping on the ice before. Hopefully, that is not it although if they split a hip they can't get around at all (at least my experience with it). Would keep an eye on him in the pen. If it is not a bad injury it should clear up soon. We actually have what we call "the limping pen". We pen them up at first sign of a limp, so we can see what the injury might be. It is connected to a squeeze chute in case we need to put up a hoof or something like that. We have found many causes to a limp, just by penning and closely examining. Hope he heals soon.

Looks like he stifled. Has anyone had any good results with hitting a bull with grain for a month then have him ground for burger? The bull is only a 3 year old.

I would. You will probably find (if you like the taste of beef) that it's the best tasting burger you've ever had.

Jason1040":1pm8hf5l said:
Looks like he stifled. Has anyone had any good results with hitting a bull with grain for a month then have him ground for burger? The bull is only a 3 year old.
Not a bull but a coming 3 year old cow that stifled. Primarily burger & a couple roasts.

dun":25eti465 said:
I would. You will probably find (if you like the taste of beef) that it's the best tasting burger you've ever had.

We pulled a 5.5 year old bull straight from winter hay (he was getting zero grain) to go to the butcher. Some of the most tender beef we've ever had.

Your results may be different. But, for your sake, I hope not.

WalnutCrest":1ttsv4qd said:
dun":1ttsv4qd said:

We pulled a 5.5 year old bull straight from winter hay (he was getting zero grain) to go to the butcher. Some of the most tender beef we've ever had.

Do you mean tender hamburg or pot roasts? Other than that, a 5+ yr old bull should not be tender steaks. Surprising

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1i7mhure said:
WalnutCrest":1i7mhure said:
dun":1i7mhure said:

Do you mean tender hamburg or pot roasts? Other than that, a 5+ yr old bull should not be tender steaks. Surprising

We aged one half 10 days and one half 3.5 weeks.

The roasts ... could be cut with a fork -- juicy, tender, succulent. The steaks were even better. My kids would ask my wife for nearly a year after he was long-since-consumed whether or not we had any more Excalibur in the freezer. He was that good.

It's one example of why we raise Aubrac.

Jason1040":nlbx9df5 said:
Looks like he stifled. Has anyone had any good results with hitting a bull with grain for a month then have him ground
for burger? The bull is only a 3 year old.
Makes great hot dogs and ring baloney too!
60 days on grain would be better than 30 but when dealing with an injury it might be more of a week to week
thing as to how he's recovering.

gotcha! I kinda agree with that statement, but there are lots of opinions about grain fed, grass fed, natural and organic. To each their own. It is a nitch market.
Actually, it takes a lot more management to do a GREAT job finishing beef on forage. Almost impossible in many areas of the US. Not enough grazing time.
Give me corn fed beef everyday. Don't get me wrong, I love my venison, but I don't want my beef eating experience anywhere close to venison.

We age our Aubrac beeves between 10 days and 24 days with good results each direction.

And Jeanne ... it's not just management that's required to have really superior dining experience with grassfed beef. Quite a bit of it is genetic, too. And quite a bit is in the preparation of the meal.

"Quite a bit of it is genetic, too. And quite a bit is in the preparation of the meal."
I agree with genetics, but explain "preparation". What different preparation would you do with a T-Bone steak?

Latest posts