Bull Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
@Hoser I'm not a Hereford person so I won't offer any opinion on selection, but I will state a personal dislike.
I don't like it when they don't allow you to see the feet when they're walking. In the video they have plenty of straw piled up so that you can't see their feet, I always wonder if that's on purpose to hide something. Show me a video of them walking across bare ground if you want me to bid.
That being said I didn't watch near all the videos but some of the ones that I did watch seemed to have a short stride and didn't fill their track. You can take that for what it's worth....zero!!!

A good hoof trim before the video was taken and you wouldn't be any wiser seeing the feet anyway.

Straw is used because it makes the animals stand out better in the videos. This isn't unusual, nearly every sale I've ever seen uses some light colored ground covering to allow the animals to show better.

Most honest breeders would gladly privately send pics of the feet. The straw is just how some areas do it. Probably shouldn't buy a bull that you haven't checked out for yourself anyway.

I got a bull from them a few years ago who is a maternal sibling of lots 613 and 659. We've kept more replacements from him than other bull due to his daughters exceptional feet and legs structure, tight udders and calm disposition.

I forgot to add that I am only looking at 2 and 3 star calving ease bulls.

Just after a quick skim through I'd be considering 608, 620, 651, 654. Seems like a decent place to buy a bull from. Straw or 6 inch grass is pretty normal for bull pictures. Pretty rare bull pics taken on a golf course so I wouldn't be scared off this breeder because of straw but ya would be good idea to look over any bull in person.

Which hereford bull would you buy to put over 1400+/-lb Black Angus cows with functional replace heifers being the goal?
I buy bulls that look like what I want to produce. I only viewed a few of the first videos and the bulls look like what I once bred in the early seventies. A little short in the leg for range bulls, but fine for lush grass/small pasture bulls. 608 was something I would like.
With the goal of replacement heifers you'll have to be concerned with maternal factors. That's a whole different story. One thing I would weight heavily that many people don't is longevity. I want a bull from a cow with some age on her. Not extremely heritable, but that's the way I pick'em.

Latest posts