Bull selection

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I have been running one of my registered angus bulls with my mixed breed commercial cows but I was wondering if a brangus bull would be a better bull to run to get more weight on my calves at selling time?

Rod":1j9rognb said:
I have been running one of my registered angus bulls with my mixed breed commercial cows but I was wondering if a brangus bull would be a better bull to run to get more weight on my calves at selling time?

several things come to mind in answering your question. first, how much brahman-influence do your females have? if they have more than a quarter, personally i would probably stay with the angus. if they have less than a quarter or so, i think the brangus would do great. the reason i'm saying only a quarter brahman is because anything over that will probably hurt you when selling your steers. anything less than that should still give you good payouts on both steers and heifers. the other thing to consider is where you're located. here in south-central texas and across many of the southern, coastal states, most commercial cattleman want some percentage of brahman in the females. if you're farther north you'd probably be better off sticking with the angus.

Latest posts