Bull Selection

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I have a bull (1/2 Angus, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Holstein) I have used on my commercial herd (mostly black baldy's and a few limos). I would like to know the opinions of my fellow cattlemen and cattlewomen of the usage of this bull. I usually use a fullblood limo as a sire, but I would like to add a little milk into the equation for the future without sacrificing carcass quality. Thank you for your input.

mhill":363emyr8 said:
I have a bull (1/2 Angus, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Holstein) I have used on my commercial herd (mostly black baldy's and a few limos). I would like to know the opinions of my fellow cattlemen and cattlewomen of the usage of this bull. I usually use a fullblood limo as a sire, but I would like to add a little milk into the equation for the future without sacrificing carcass quality. Thank you for your input.

Use a Purebred ANGUS Bull. He will definitely sire calves with Better
carcass auality, besides adding enough milk, but not so much as the holstein, and then you don't have to worry about calf scours. for your replacement heifers to raise a fast growing beef animal. You also won't have to worry about pink eye, which the hereford X calves will inherit from the traits of the hereford.

Lloyd Aylsworth

I think you should try adding some Simmies into the bloodlines...it will increase your milk intake on the calves. I would try to stay away from the purebred Simmies...way too much Angus influence....try get something 1/2 Sim x 1/2 Herf or Brahman. Fullbloods tend to throw big calves.

Oregonian":953oyb8r said:
I think you should try adding some Simmies into the bloodlines...it will increase your milk intake on the calves. I would try to stay away from the purebred Simmies...way too much Angus influence....try get something 1/2 Sim x 1/2 Herf or Brahman. Fullbloods tend to throw big calves.

"Purebred Simmis have way too much Angus?" Mind explaining that one?

If you use registered Angus bulls, you can use the Milk EPD to identify bulls that will increase milk production in their daughters. Or decrease milk production. High milk production requires more feed.

Personally, I would use a registered bull of about any breed over a composite bull, especially if your cattle are crossbred cattle.

In general, adding hereford into the herd won't help you with milking ability. Try adding simmental, as they are used as a dual purpose breed in some countries.

I'd personally stay away from simmies and go with Gelbvieh bulls. They'll work great on your baldy cows. They milk well and grow great. I'd stay away from holstein bulls on beef cows. You'll get too much milk and you'll loose stayability and longevity in your females. The steers will be huge and if they come out spotted will get docked at most sale barns.

without sacrifying carcass quality and increasing milk production you could use Simmental, Tarentaise, or Normande the three breeds have Traditonal, Red or Black colors.

mhill":2jmcgipz said:

Latest posts