Bull selection /Brangus Angus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We ran an Angus bull with our Brangus cross and Baldies last year and have'nt seen the calves grow out yet. We increased the herd with same kind of cattle and recently bought another Angus bull . Do you folks think this is a good decision to go with the Angus ? We did'nt need more ear, but we thought about Hereford. I really like the growth of a Brangus and I'm afraid we'll miss some of that with the Angus. What would you do for fast growing calves to send to auction in Arkansas. We'll have to see what we get this fall and decide if we want to make a change.

If you select good bulls you won't sacrifice any growth if you cross to an Angus. On your brangus cows a hereford bull would probably give you more hybrid vigor but the baldies won't have the same benefits because of the hereford in their background.

if it is a terminal cross maybe simmental or limousin, i want to try charalois, just worried about calving problems. simmi on brangus is a good cross i have a few heifers and i like them.

Anita":251gln07 said:
We ran an Angus bull with our Brangus cross and Baldies last year and have'nt seen the calves grow out yet. We increased the herd with same kind of cattle and recently bought another Angus bull . Do you folks think this is a good decision to go with the Angus ? We did'nt need more ear, but we thought about Hereford. I really like the growth of a Brangus and I'm afraid we'll miss some of that with the Angus. What would you do for fast growing calves to send to auction in Arkansas. We'll have to see what we get this fall and decide if we want to make a change.

Simmental, Limousin or Tarentaise will be perfect and you won't have color problems, if you're interested in high % of Angus blood look for a Simmangus, Limflex (Lim-Angus) or Tarentaise-Angus bull you will still have more than 50% Angus blood and the continental influence will still give you fast growing calves for sure.

I will prefer straight Continental blood if the Brangus cows where mine.

Anita":1jn760qk said:
I would try an AngusPlus bull. The AngusPlus is a registered hybred of the Brangus and Angus, both red and black. The Red Angus Association registeres these animals. Rockbrook Ranch in Texas developed them. You will limit your Brahman influence but retain the Brangus advantage.

I'm with delaGarza I think you sould not waste all that pelvis space on english cattle. An exotic will way more when you wean them if you find the right one.

Latest posts