Bull Scrotum

Help Support CattleToday:

adolan

Reaction score
I recently went to check out a prospective black angus bull that my neighbor was wanting to sell. The bull was put together really well and the only knock I had on him was he had three or four growths on the skin of the scrotum. Looked to be the size of a pencil eraser. What are they? Are they a problem? I had a previous bull that developed the same thing a few years ago so I think it may be more common than I think.
The bull in 17mo. old/1200 lbs.

adolan":2kgykqeb said:
Opinions please.

Happy to oblige.

No matter where I buy from I never accept an animal until the following is done - ESPECIALLY if it is a friend or neighour - prevents hard feelings in event of a deal gone bad.

Veterinarian comes to farm and does complete examine including semen count.

Vaccinations and boosters are completed - but only if veterinarian says animal is good to go.

Booster usually means animal stays on home place for an additional two weeks unless it can be proved this has all been done within the past six months - and the protocol matches my needs.

Animal stays at original owners risk - I pay when I load.

If it fails the veterinarian exam the seller pays the vet. If it passes I pay the vet.

If this bull is going to breed your cattle it had better be worth the above - or it is a hamburger bull and anyone buying him gets what he deserves.

What I think we have here on this post is a "come and buy my bull - he is a good bull - cheap like borscht".

I would run from that deal as fast as my old legs could carry me. Too many things can go wrong and then it is a "he said and she said" argument - that could end up in court.

In my mind - with the information you have provided - this is a bad deal.

As for the warts?? or whatever - you will find out when the veterinarian sees them.

Here comes what could be considered an insult - it is not - you sound like someone who does not have a great deal of experience with cattle - watch your wallet CLOSELY!!

Bez>

I had no intentions of buying the bull without the vet checking him out first. I have seen the Sire the Dam and the current calves off the Sire. As for my experience with cattle, no I have not seen it all before. I figure I'll be dead when that happens. :lol: Just a college educated country boy trying to keep the family farm alive for the two boys I got coming up. I learn a lot the hard way that's for sure. After about 10 yrs. of the cow-calf operation I'm making a lot less mistakes. I do however get a lot of advice from many different sources before I make decisions. Sounds like really good advice Bez. Too many good bulls out there to settle for something questionable.

Do they look like dried crusty calluses? I've seen similar on the brisket of some cows and on a few bulls.

dun

Latest posts