Bull Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was watching a bull auction on TV the other day and below each bull on the screen they had this stuff. Please if some one could tell me what each means.

EPDs:___BW:___WW:___WK:___YW:___ ULTRASOUND:___IMF:___REA:___%RP:___ BW:___WWt:___NR___DAN PROD:___NR:___

The first line is Expected Progeny Difference: "The difference expressed in pounds, that a given sire should increase or decrease from a breed average bull. It can be used as to compare sires from all parts of the country as it links herds and sires together". BW is Birth Weight EPD, WW Weaning Weight EPD, MK is Milk EPD, YW is Yearling Weight EPD. You need to know the breed averages for these figures to mean anything to you. And you cannot compare one bull of one breed to another breed. They vary by breeds. The second line is giving carcass data based on untrasound measurements: IMF - Intramuscular Fat - this is an indication of marbling. REA - Rib Eye Area measured between the 12th & 13th ribs & listed in square inches. %RP - ? not sure The last line would be the bulls birth weight & his adjusted weaning weight. Not sure what the rest is. Probably breed specific. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

The %RP is percent retail product and is the percentage of cuttable meat over/under the breed average. Not sure about the rest either.

dunmovin farms

> I was watching a bull auction on
> TV the other day and below each
> bull on the screen they had this
> stuff. Please if some one could
> tell me what each means.

> EPDs:___BW:___WW:___WK:___YW:___
> ULTRASOUND:___IMF:___REA:___%RP:___
> BW:___WWt:___NR___DAN
> PROD:___NR:___