Bull Sales how do you pick

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
So when you go to a bull sale how do you do it? My usual M.O is to go thru catalog in advance if I have it and highlight what I like numbers wise etc. Then get there and go thru pens and do another list of what I like by what I see. Cross reference the two lists and nit pick the survivors.

My biggest question is do you put more stock in an epd or what you see? Not talking about major flaws but when you get down to the details and minute differences. Like the looks of one but the numbers of the others particularly if you are trying to breed up a certain trait in your herd? Just curious how the pros do it! Thanks

I break down the epds, pedigrees, and weights before hand. Then look over my top selection to see if they are my type and kind, and check for flaws. Then the one's that are left I give a price range to buy them at based on my valuation.
If I have time sometime I'll post the formula I use for breaking down epds quickly, and orderly.
33899569248_9078fc09eb_h.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Yes that is pretty much what I am doing Sim. If you could post your epd trick that would be great. I agree I have to like his looks as much or more than his numbers.

If you plan on saving heifers out of that bull, be sure to check out dam, granddam, sisters, etc.

Latest posts