Bull Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
Went to my first bull sale today. Always like to go to a few early sales to get a feel for what the prices are in the neq year. Have attended this sale for the last 3 years. The prices were a lot stronger this year on the bulls and females. Prices on the 18 month old bulls a little softer. The 2 y/o bulls and females were very strong. Will be interesting how prices hold up over thw next 3 months. I will attend another bext Saturday.

I had all the prices on the 2 y/o's but 2. The 39 2 y/o's that I had prices on avg over $4,700. That was a thousand better than last year I think. It was Hutson Angus. They are strong into feed efficiency testing and feed all their commercial cattle out and have feed out and carcass results. They have a grow safe set up and feed effeincy test every bull and female.

A few years back I had a bull sale road trip lined out. Ten days a different bull sale every day. It would have cost a bunch in fuel and motel bills but we would have ate a free lunch every day.

Dave said:
A few years back I had a bull sale road trip lined out. Ten days a different bull sale every day. It would have cost a bunch in fuel and motel bills but we would have ate a free lunch every day.

Don't they also serve free drinks out west?

Stocker Steve said:
Dave said:

Don't they also serve free drinks out west?
Some do. Some give free breakfast too. There are two big bull sales back to back here in Baker. Free lunch at the first sale, then a free "Cowboy Gathering" buffet dinner and drinks at a historic hotel in town. The next morning free breakfast and then free lunch at the second sale.

We need at least one bull also. At the early sales I only buy if they are reasonable. As the season goes along if I haven't got one I get a little more aggressive. Have to test a bull that had an abscess in his sheath last summer. The vet said at the tine only a 50% chance he will be good again. So may need 2.

Stocker Steve said:
After the 2019 weather and beef market - - how can bull sales be "a lot stronger" ?

Must have been holiday bargains on basement money-printing presses. I always seem to miss out on those deals.

Aaron said:
Stocker Steve said:
After the 2019 weather and beef market - - how can bull sales be "a lot stronger" ?

Must have been holiday bargains on basement money-printing presses. I always seem to miss out on those deals.

Or negative interest rates. I asked my banker how to get one of the negative interest rate mortgages. :cowboy:

Stocker Steve said:
Aaron said:
Stocker Steve said:

Or negative interest rates. I asked my banker how to get one of the negative interest rate mortgages. :cowboy:

Debt at negative interest is still debt.

When negative rates on bank deposits started there was a big back order on home safes. Makes you wonder what kind of an economy they must have to make negative interest rates work. Are the Germans still buying land up on the Rainy?

Stocker Steve said:
When negative rates on bank deposits started there was a big back order on home safes. Makes you wonder what kind of an economy they must have to make negative interest rates work. Are the Germans still buying land up on the Rainy?

Haven't heard of them buying anything new. I think the wet fall harvest tucked their tail between their legs for the time being. Although nobody is in a big rush to sell land here either. Few old farmers have died in the last month but their land won't likely come up till spring. And one place will be Mennonites for sure as they have been frothing at the mouth for it for years.

Once you get an Amish in the neighborhood, they start knocking on doors to find more places to buy. Can I sent some of them up to the Rainy District? They love inexpensive run down rocky ex dairy farms.

Stocker Steve said:
Once you get an Amish in the neighborhood, they start knocking on doors to find more places to buy. Can I sent some of them up to the Rainy District? They love inexpensive run down rocky ex dairy farms.

They won't stay here. Had a few come up about 3 years ago, they looked around. Said towns were too small and bigger towns were too far away to support their farmer market income. They wanted multiple 2000-5000 population towns within 10 miles of their prospective farms, not little 100 people hamlets.

Latest posts