bull replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
At what age do you consider replacing your herd bull(s)? And, is there an age where a good bull is considered unable to pass on his genetics like he used to? Kinda like.. old bull = weak genetics???

I know a registered Red Angus breeder that has a 14 years old bull, he often draw the sperm out of him for A.I purposes. This bull is still in great shape and get lot of pampering than any bulls on same ranch. I has his daughter in my herd, she is my replacement red heifer.

Limomike":xqwmgqbu said:
At what age do you consider replacing your herd bull(s)? And, is there an age where a good bull is considered unable to pass on his genetics like he used to? Kinda like.. old bull = weak genetics???
A bull should be no different in being able to pass on his genetic ability regardless of age...Yearling to ten years old.
Genes are genes. Now you might find some newer genetics that may out perform your old bull, but that is entirely different.

I would think you would consider replacing a bull if you get to a situation where he would be breeding his daughters or you see cows coming up open at preg check or you acquire a better bull. In my small, acre limited operation it is breeding his daughters and pasture management that mean I need a new bull.

Jim

Jim,
Thats the typical way we have been using our older bull, and with his daughters, we breed them to our younger bull. My older bull is going on 10 yrs old, and I sure hate to get rid of him because he has been a dandy. BUT... time is not on his side.

Limomike":1mv6e8lc said:
Jim,
Thats the typical way we have been using our older bull, and with his daughters, we breed them to our younger bull. My older bull is going on 10 yrs old, and I sure hate to get rid of him because he has been a dandy. BUT... time is not on his side.

Buy some more cows. :D

TennesseeTuxedo":49ip9ljn said:
Limomike":49ip9ljn said:
Jim,

Buy some more cows. :D

Yep.. my thoughts exactly. Twice in the past two weeks, was gonna buy some bred 4-7 yr olds, with calves, and they got sold before I could look at em. Gotta be lookin at a new bull too before long.

Limomike":wxaba5k9 said:
there the old tale here,, the older a bull gets the bigger his calves...

Limomike":18xz10bb said:
Jim,

If he is a really good bull, why not retain one of his sons out of your best cow and continue the line? I am doing something like that but the other way around - trying to extend the reach of a particular cow.

Jim

Latest posts