Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

klasqh

Reaction score
We have a 2 year old bull - has been running with cows off and on since he was 13 months. We have seen him jump a cow in heat, but never breed her. Different sets of cows, all of them cycling. Are planning to make him into a teaser bull. He has a great disposition, and has passed a breeding exam. Any suggestions? Do you think he will work as a teaser?

I'm dumb, I'm sure, What would one need a teaser bull for, unless you are AIing. Then If he is able to breed, how do u stop him from breeding. another head to feed also, with a shortage of feed almost everywhere. I just don't understand. If you don't mind please explain this to me.

tryinhard":3mn564uy said:
I'm dumb, I'm sure, What would one need a teaser bull for, unless you are AIing.

You hit the nail square on the head - no need for a teaser/spotter unless one is AI'ing.

Then If he is able to breed, how do u stop him from breeding.

You don't, as far as I'm aware anyway. Usually spotters/teasers have had vasectomies so they can't breed.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw this confusing. :shock:

I'm surprised he passed a breeding soundness exam. Would he pass one right now? I'm wondering if he was injured after the exam and that prevents him from breeding.
Before you use him as a gomer I'd have him tested again. If he passes the test again I'd have him fixed because you want to be sure he can't breed before you use him as a gomer.

if you use electro stimulation as vets do to conduct a BSE your not going to see if the bull actually extends and will breed the cow such as you will if you take them to a bull stud and have them us an artificial vagina to see if the bull will actually breed. A BSE simply states he can settle cows and is sound enough to do the service, not necessarily that he knows how or will extend to actualy breed the cow.

Sorry guys, that I wasn't a little more specific. Yes, we are AI'ing our cows - we both work full-time day jobs - heat detection is a little difficult. Planned to have the bull vasectomized (sp?), hoping that he would follow and ride the cows to let us know which cow was in heat. Breeding exam was done with a stimulator - good point about not extending. Plans are to take him to U of I this week - will check with the vet there. Don't know if they will have cows in heat to check him.

Latest posts