Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ChipC

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but here it goes. I have a few Red Angus that were bred with a Tarentaise and one gave birth to a bull calf on Sept 1st. I am going to sell him pretty soon, but had considered holding on to him a few more months to put some extra weight on him. Do I need to be concerned with him reaching puberty and trying to breed the cows, calves, his mom, etc...?

Might be a dumb question, but I am new at this.

Thanks

No they're not bred. I bought them as bred heifers in August. I'm waiting till this summer to rent a bull. Trying to get them on a schedule. Should I be concerned about him breeding his mom or my young calves (3-4 months old)?

Couple more questions. Where are you located that youd want to breed cattle middle of summer? How big is cow that had the calf?
I wouldn't be concerned with 3 or 4 month old heifers, and unless the cow is a dink id play the odds, it is mother nature, could just make him a steer, no worries.

I'm in southeastern NC. I want to get the bull May-July so I can have feb-april calves. And yes I bought bred heifers. All have calved except 1.