Bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the looks of that calf Knersie. Knowing your cows and how they work and using bull that are proven to work that produce the type calf you want will win over epds ever time. The very best bulls of most any will never be seen in a semen catalog.

KNERSIE":2y1uzzcu said:
This coming breeding season I'll use two halfsibs out of my main AI sire as cleanup bulls and use my main AI sire, a bull out of the same herd, a related bull to my main AI sire as a "terminal" bull on some registered second calvers and test a few straws of a Canadian bull I've imported.

Just curious as a canadian breeder what bull you are using, How you found him, and why you selected him???

Nice calf Knersie, it looks like everyone wants to see how he develops, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of him when he was just 2 or 3 days old. He almost looks too big for his age, hope doesn't get to framey for you.

rocket2222":14xku797 said:
Nice calf Knersie, it looks like everyone wants to see how he develops, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of him when he was just 2 or 3 days old. He almost looks too big for his age, hope doesn't get to framey for you.

Paul, I don't have any photos of him that young, but I think I have some of when he was about 10- 14 days old, I'll have a look.

He is extremely big for his age in my herd and at the moment my biggest fear is that he will be too big for me, although he doesn't have that typical giraffe like legs that the real framey bulls have at his age.

Just curious as a canadian breeder what bull you are using, How you found him, and why you selected him???

WLB Global 72m 50S, was browsing the web and saw WLB's previous sale catalogues, was impressed by the type and started to dig deeper. For the moment he will offer outcross genetics for the entire SA genepool, so that should help with marketing. The plan is to use him almost terminally for now to get a unique product whilst my current breeding program is going on as always. Depending on how his get perform I might retain a few heifers or even a bull to start another line. Typically the halfbred Canadian cattle do very well when bred back to SA genetics to keep the Canadian influence at about 25%. The reason I decided on him is that he is phenotypically closer to my ideal than any other foreign bull I've seen and also closer to the type I breed. I'll use him sparingly, but he'll get bred to the best heifers this year to give him a fair chance and to give me a better idea of what he brings to the table. I'm not about to make a change of direction at all, its much more a business decision than its a breeding decision.

I like the calf. I really like his depth of body. To me he doesn't like his muscle is that much more extreme. I'd like to see a little more extension in his neck. I'll be very interested to see how he develops.

a few people asked for an update, here he is at a 3 months and 3 weeks with his dam. For reference his dam is just over a frame 6.

prospect.jpg

He's going to be a big rip from the looks of things-his dam has a good strong muzzle looks like she can keep herself going but like you said you wouldn't want her any bigger.

Nice calf. He looks very thick. Old timers used to say if you looked at a bull from the front or back and you can't see his gut, then he would be a tough calver. Do you buy that theory?

alexfarms":1mjkfxtl said:
Nice calf. He looks very thick. Old timers used to say if you looked at a bull from the front or back and you can't see his gut, then he would be a tough calver. Do you buy that theory?

No.

If I look at a bull from the front or back I don't want to see much gut, you need width of frame to be able to add muscle and to have easy doing cattle under tough conditions.

When looking at a bull from the front I also don't want to see hips the same way I don't want to see shoulders when I look at a cow from behind.

KNERSIE":1efmtpvl said:
alexfarms":1efmtpvl said:

No.

If I look at a bull from the front or back I don't want to see much gut, you need width of frame to be able to add muscle and to have easy doing cattle under tough conditions.

When looking at a bull from the front I also don't want to see hips the same way I don't want to see shoulders when I look at a cow from behind.

I've heard that phrase before, but I always thought when they said guts they were referring to rib shape, which made sense to me, especially from a front view, if you can't see his ribs, he's probably big shouldered, slab sided and lacks capacity.

Kernsie

i assume you have never been to that WLB outfit? If you have i would be curious to know more about their cattle. I took a shot in the dark on some semen on a sire of theirs for a young gal that received a heifer i donated for the nile merit heifer program. she was set on breeding her to a polled bull. it will be very interesting to me to see what she gets. i ran some registered cows on shares for a guy several years ago and he wanted me to ai breed them to that gerber ranger i think it was.... it was a flop and i have never really paid much attention to the polled cattle since. we got her heifer safe to wlb's fresh 7m bull. kind of anxious to see what happens.

Australian":1qobl7a3 said:
Darn nice calf. Is the rough bushes typical of what you find in your area?
Colin

Thanks. yes its called "renosterveld" and is part of the Cape finebush family.

Hereford76":2aye7tdw said:
Kernsie

i assume you have never been to that WLB outfit? If you have i would be curious to know more about their cattle. I took a shot in the dark on some semen on a sire of theirs for a young gal that received a heifer i donated for the nile merit heifer program. she was set on breeding her to a polled bull. it will be very interesting to me to see what she gets. i ran some registered cows on shares for a guy several years ago and he wanted me to ai breed them to that gerber ranger i think it was.... it was a flop and i have never really paid much attention to the polled cattle since. we got her heifer safe to wlb's fresh 7m bull. kind of anxious to see what happens.

No I haven't been there, as I said before it was more a business decision than a breeding decision to bring in some foreign genetics. Of the bulls approved for international use Global was the closest to the type I want. What impressed me about WLB is the type of bulls offered in their sale catalogues, I could see their breeding goals by looking at the pics even before communicating with Bill Biglieni. As it turns out I won't use Global this season, Semex somehow managed to "lose" the semen after it has been less than 30 miles from me for months. Apparently they sold it to someone else even though I went through all the trouble of getting the bull approved for import and even though the import certificate is in my name!? They offered to bring another batch in, but I got hold of some semen I really wanted in the meantime and told the Semex rep to stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Kind of like the Genex reps in the United States can't get semen on my Lad bull to customers. If it ain't from Schaff's good luck!!

Knersie, have you posted a pic of this guy sice he has grown up?
KNERSIE":gnzou0n8 said:
a few people asked for an update, here he is at a 3 months and 3 weeks with his dam. For reference his dam is just over a frame 6.

prospect.jpg

No I haven't, he is working at the moment, will bring him in soon and get pics of him, I'm pretty sure I did post pics when he was about 13 months old though.

That is one sorry looking bull Knersie if you will pay shipping I will dispose of the ugly beast ;-) . This might take five or six years after his arrival to find someone to pawn him off on. I am not usually willing to do this but there are exceptions.

Latest posts