Bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher said:
Let us see the sire and the dam.

Sire.

I'll have to get a pic of the dam. She's an older cow that's always one of the first to calve.

Kingfisher said:
Lazy M said:
Kingfisher said:
Let us see the sire and the dam.

Sire.

I'll have to get a pic of the dam. She's an older cow that's always one of the first to calve.

He looks pretty "balanced" to me. What's the story on him?
Sim bull, sired by Mo Better. Planned on using him strictly as terminal but he makes very nice females and have retained quite a few (at least 30). Really stamps his calves with bone and length. His oldest group of daughters are on their 4th calves now and are very fertile and surprisingly easy keepers despite bigger frames. Very low cull rate for his daughter's compared to other bulls I've used.

Just to talk cattle....how would that work if you put "JR" back on top of some of those females you retained?
Your Bull looks good and slick. Just on grass I suppose? If you decide to keep JR would you put him on feed this winter to see/help him grow?

Kingfisher said:
Just to talk cattle....how would that work if you put "JR" back on top of some of those females you retained?
Your Bull looks good and slick. Just on grass I suppose? If you decide to keep JR would you put him on feed this winter to see/help him grow?

We have some different farms and herds so I shuffle the retained heifers out to other places. If I leave the calf intact I'll hold him and give him a little grain until next fall and then (if he passes a BSE) turn him in with a group of 10-12. In Spring 2022, I'd turn him in with one of our spring bred herds for more extensive exposure.
Retaining a home raised bull can often be more trouble than it's worth, especially with bull prices being reasonable, but his noticeable good growth and proven genetics would make me consider it. We'll see..

Little long in the sheath, and a little lighter on the front. Good hind end, and a good top line.
I'd keep his dad till he drops dead, or is firing blanks.

Because you like the sire of this calf so much, have you collected semen on him? I can't tell you how many times I have talked to producers that wish they had collected semen on certain bulls.

Keep him if he continues to develop as you like. If he isn't what you want next year at this time sell him on Craigslist for a couple hundred over fat price.

BFE said:
Keep him if he continues to develop as you like. If he isn't what you want next year at this time sell him on Craigslist for a couple hundred over fat price.

Sho nuff sounds like a plan!

He looks like a good one to me. Long bodiedwas my first thought

We are basically commercial, but mostly buy purebred bulls to use. We will keep one we like, like his calves, dispositions, all that, until he is either shooting blanks or gets to where he won't stay home or whatever. Finally sold our Red Poll at about 14 as the arthritis in the previously fractured hock joint was just making it soo hard for him to get up and down, and we didn't want him to suffer through a cold winter and not be able to get up. Have 2 bulls that are 9 and 10, still siring good calves, both are easy calving bulls and we still use them on heifers. They are gentle breeders, and no problems with dispositions. Have not had them ride a heifer down yet. Sometimes they are used back on their daughters, but try not to. We seldom keep heifers out of them, but there are a few that we have. I can rotate them back and forth so that they don't often get their daughters to breed.
We have several that are "cow bulls" .... not easy calving. Use them on the older cows. Keep a couple to rotate out so that they don't all get to work every season. We calve twice a year so they get chances to work and chances to rest.
Have another that is 8 now and a very good breeder. Like his calves. He gets his girls taken care of, but then he goes to the neighbors girls. So then he comes home to the "bull lot"....Have kept several of his heifers, and have 2 bull calves we have not banded yet.... don't usually raise replacement bulls, but like you, we like these 2 calves alot.
Since we rent several places, I can be careful of breeding too close.... but there are a few retained heifers, now cows, that are sired and then great grandsired by the same bull.
If he's a good one, he stays as long as he does his job and minds his manners....

Here's the same calf at 5 1/2 months.
20210206_153808.jpg
Still out performing his herd mates.
20210206_152816.jpg
We re- vaccinated the calves a few weeks ago and I kept him intact.. we'll continue to see how he develops for now.

Btw I'll probably start creep feeding in a month or so. All he's had so far is hay, mineral, and his mama's milk.
Evaluate him, please, and don't worry about hurting my feelings if you think he needs cut!

Looks alright to me. This kind of weather we are having this winter is pretty hard on them. My thinking is that if he looks like that now, he is likely to bloom on out more as winter breaks and he gets some feed.

Latest posts