bull progress

Help Support CattleToday:

well not as much like the brahman types with the sloppy loose sheath..... but if his aim aint on target it could result in injury... he may not even have a problem but the angle is more downward then most herefords

sporder":eixx73c1 said:
not sure on weight. not got any scales at the moment.

will the angle of the sheath cause a problem?

The reason I asked is he appears to be a little small for his age.

Frankly Sporder I would not use him or sell him to a customer if he was mine. He is very poorly made and lacks overall capacity and structure. How many cows do you have and where are you located? I think you could find a much better sire now before breeding season.

I would like to see him more structurally correct and heavier muscled. He appears to break behind the shoulders and slope off in his hip. If this is a recent picture with his current age, he is a little light for his age. It would be nice if he carried a little more muscle especially when you look at him from the rear view. I know how it is when you are starting a herd, but as an old man once told me..." you get exactly what you breed for". If you are trying to build a herd, his genetics might not be right for your foundation. I wish you luck with your breeding program. It's always an encouragement to hear about others wanting to get started in the cattle business.
Regards

While I'm not going to be as harsh as some of the responses you recieved, he's not a great looking bull, but he's a lot better than many I have seen posted.

My thoughts are; with your 7 cows find someone to snych and AI them for you and use him for a clean up bull for one maybe two years them dump him. But you'll build a quaility herd faster with AI.

Good luck,
Alan

they say you learn the hard way.

can anyone post a pic of a bull around the same age so i can compair to see where i went wrong. or a yearling to see what to look for when choosing a young bull

is he the same age.if so what did he look like as yearling.

will my bull ever grow out with age or has any potential gone. i understand most of you have been doing this all your life and prob seen people like myself come and go. my goal is to breed the best as is everyones. along the way i will leave myself open to critics but if it sends me in the right direction sooner then so be it.

Here is a bull when he was one year old

7051.JPG

Here is a picture of him at 22 months

Stevie_Wonder_705.jpg

these are pics of young bull's the first one looks to be two, don't know any thing other than they are pretty much phenotypicly correct... just givein' you something to go by

Sporder:

If you can AI like Alan suggested that would be the best way to build your herd. It really doesn't matter what your bull grows up to look like, his genetics will not change. He could sire good calves, genetics is not an exact science, I just have had better results starting with a more phenotipically correct animal. Good luck, let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

tlmcr":h99cu9ng said:
Sporder:

If you can AI like Alan suggested that would be the best way to build your herd. It really doesn't matter what your bull grows up to look like, his genetics will not change. He could sire good calves, genetics is not an exact science, I just have had better results starting with a more phenotipically correct animal. Good luck, let us know what you do and how it works out for you.
that true..... young cattle go through stages just like teenagers..even the good ones have their awkward periods ... not a dimes difference in my neighbor's newborn calves or mine at birth.........look at em at around 3 months big difference........................... this is not to say either ones inferior :p

Latest posts