bull progress

Help Support CattleToday:

so what you are trying to say is that he may be a slow maturing bull and may come good in the end but that is not something you want to breed into offspring as the longer they take to mature the more they cost you. i must admit that his ebvs show the predicted weight gain for his calves is slightly below average. something i did not have access to when i brought him. went on looks which were good at the time. this is why i woundered if it was something i had done since i ve had him. what should the average height and length of a 2 year old hereford

sporder":jt0f020d said:
so what you are trying to say is that he may be a slow maturing bull and may come good in the end but that is not something you want to breed into offspring as the longer they take to mature the more they cost you. i must admit that his ebvs show the predicted weight gain for his calves is slightly below average. something i did not have access to when i brought him. went on looks which were good at the time. this is why i woundered if it was something i had done since i ve had him. what should the average height and length of a 2 year old hereford
yep .... that area from birth to weaning. is how some make their livin' they don;t have time for em to wait on them to come out good... ill tell you this in spite of whatever we say, its not the end of the world for you. and don't get depressed or down over it... if he is all you can do now

alacattleman":5wqq7htu said:
sporder":5wqq7htu said:
yep .... that area from birth to weaning. is how some make their livin' they don;t have time for em to wait on them to come out good... ill tell you this in spite of whatever we say, its not the end of the world for you. and don't get depressed or down over it... if he is all you can do now

Good post...
I have seen much worse, heck I have had worse. ;-)

Life happens, we have all made mistakes. Heck there are a bunch on here that have repeated the same mistakes twice... :dunce:

i think the problem is i am trying to run before i can walk. i have only been doing it a short time and expect to produce show cattle every time. you cant buy experience. it makes perfect sense to ai which will get better genetics into the herd sooner but the prob i have with ai is i am not on the farm all the time which makes it harder to spot the cow in heat and get the ai guy to her in time. i also like seeing the bull out in the field with the cows its more natural.

sporder":256p14j3 said:
i think the problem is i am trying to run before i can walk. i have only been doing it a short time and expect to produce show cattle every time. you cant buy experience. it makes perfect sense to ai which will get better genetics into the herd sooner but the prob i have with ai is i am not on the farm all the time which makes it harder to spot the cow in heat and get the ai guy to her in time. i also like seeing the bull out in the field with the cows its more natural.
i dont expect show cattle either....i had rather drool over a productive moma cow and a good quality bull...then ooh and ahh over a show poodle

Sporder:

Synch the cows and do AI, less heat detection required and it works. Keep moving forward you will meet your goals.

Latest posts