Bull problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Ojp6

Reaction score
We have a three year old angus bull that we have had for two years. Didn't have any problems last year and the 22 cows he was with all calves within 41 days. He has been out with cows for a couple weeks now and for the first couple weeks he was fine. For the last few days he has been rough on the cows. He's with fifteen he right now and he keeps herding them to the corner. He won't let them leave the corner and if they do he runs them down and hits them with his head. He will hardly let them go to the water. Today when he started beating on a calf we got him in. Any idea why he started doing this and what are the chances he will stop? Don't really want to put him in the kill pen but I also don't want him to hurt any cows or calves.

We have bulls that do this when we get the cows up. Such a pain in the a$$. Every gate, the bull stands guard punishing any cow who tries to cross. But, we've never had one do it any other time.

Had a bull that was like that...herding cows to the corner of the fence and guards his waterer. Won't let cows near his waterer till we put the horses in and the pecking order has changed. The bull loses the interest in guarding/herding after the horses let him know who's the boss is.

I had a bull act like that a few years ago. The only thing I came up with was there was a neighbor's bull a mile or so off in the direction of the water who made lot of noise all the time. I figured he didn't want his cows headed in the direction of the other bull. A few days later I moved them to a different pasture and he was fine. I told the guy I bought him from that the bull had been taking lessons from the elk. If you ever watch a bull elk during the rut, he will keep his cows in a pretty tight bunch.

Have seen them at that, around that age. And eventually grow out of it.. Or just get tired of it. Are there any other bulls close by? Had one that acted up all the time when there was a bull in another pasture within sight. But once the other bull was gone he settled right down again.

We have a pair of bulls that will do it and when they are running groups of 40+ cows I see it as a benefit. Have never had a cow or calf injured and don't really see why we would. Cows get thirsty or hungry enough as a group a bull isn't going to hold them, just may guide them a little but. It sure can be a pain in the butt but it's not a cullable offense on our place.