Bull Problem, Solved

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Have noticed that we have not gotten a lot of calves out of our oldest bull this year. I had gotten a bad feeling about him and of course hubby didn't believe me.
Well tonight I discovered what was going on with this bull. He is not mounting the cows.
We have an open cow in with the bulls; we're going to ship her this spring; he walked up behind her like he was going to mount, but didn't. He ejaculated on to the ground.
Never heard or seen anything like that in my time with cattle. Has anybody else?

dun":1bxi0eca said:
Sounds like a teenage boy!

icon_roflmbo.gif

:lol2: Good one dun. Don't hurt yourself Keren. :D :D :D :D

Redluv he was moving really slow during the extreme cold. Called the vet out but he didn't see anything wrong with the bull. He is coming tomorrow to fertility test our bulls.
The bull did great for the '08 calving season. He is now 5yo.

I would guess he has a hip or lumbar spine problem if he moved slow in the cold. Soreness in the sternal area will cause this, too, w/o lameness.

redcowsrule33":eb2od42t said:
I would guess he has a hip or lumbar spine problem if he moved slow in the cold. Soreness in the sternal area will cause this, too, w/o lameness.

It takes a lot of pain to keep a bull from jumping. Even a bull with foot rot will mount. Could be a hip problem, arthritis particularly, or maybe a pulled stifle. If so, I would be leery of keeping daughters off of him. Poor hips, pulled stifles in a young(er) bull like that isn't a good sign for the next generation. BTW: 10 years to me is an old bull. :cowboy:

I've had a bull get a sore shoulder before, even though the vet couldn't find anything. I've also had a bull hurt his hip, and we think it was a nerve thing, and once again, the vet couldn't detect anything. It's hard to say the cause, but if the vet can't help, I think it might be worth considering getting rid of him.

redluv he's hitting the road very shortly. Figured no sense in paying to have him tested when he's going to be gone for this breeding season.

Aaron thanks for the heads up. We will keep an eye on his daughters and if the same problem starts showing up they will all hit the road. All descendents from that line.
It is warmer today and we have still not seen him mount that hot cow, but our other bull slipped by him and did the job. :lol2: :D

I had a Limi Bull that would that when a cow was close to standing heat. He was a very aggressive breeder.

Latest posts