Bull Prices Fall 2004

Help Support CattleToday:

fellersbarnoneranch":3ihsv21y said:
Just wondering what folks are paying/asking for bulls. (also breed, age, location)

We sell for 750.00 at weaning 1500 and up and up at a year depending on the bull.

fellersbarnoneranch":1meag7t9 said:
Just wondering what folks are paying/asking for bulls. (also breed, age, location)

I can get an !8-20 month old registered Brahman for $1500.00 and a 24+ for $!750.00 in northeast Texas.

bubchub":qpocliqc said:
fellersbarnoneranch":qpocliqc said:

I can get an !8-20 month old registered Brahman for $1500.00 and a 24+ for $!750.00 in northeast Texas.

I will bet the 18 to 20 mo. old bull is a much better animal, phenotypically, pedigree, and EPD's.

la4angus":pu0sffjg said:
bubchub":pu0sffjg said:
fellersbarnoneranch":pu0sffjg said:

I will bet the 18 to 20 mo. old bull is a much better animal, phenotypically, pedigree, and EPD's.

Some people have six that average $16,000 and sell 15 $3,500 bulls a year out of them. I have heard told, and there Bramers to.
How bout it Little Red Bramer Ruby what you think about them Bramers.

If I sold at $750 I'd be way ahead to sell them as feeder steers. And that's what I did. Sold my steers for almost $750 a head. Only kept a few as bulls this year to put on performance and carcass test to sell next spring.

Here in NC I can usually get $1250 for 1 yr. olds . $1500 for 18 month olds .Homozygous will naturally be more . I do sell a few for $1850 an up .
Registered Limousin

Made a handshake deal with a neighbour that's swamped with bull power. Will be paying $500.00 (Canuckbucks) for a four year old proven reg. Simmental bull. His breeding is Neff lined, similar to another one I'm using. They're happy. It's probably $50.00 more than they would have made sending him for baloney. I'm happy. Beats paying $2000.00 next spring for a two year old who could wreck his "cattleprod" in his first breeding year and end up worth $450.00 or less.

Take care.

What are some of the typical terms of a bull sales you guys use? Are bulls typically garunteed to perform, or just sperm tested? I heard of a guy that tried to return a 2 yr old bull for loss of condition after the bull had been running with about 60 cows this past summer. Not sure how many the bull bred. On the other hand, if the bull had not been so busy on that many cows the guy might have tried to return him due to lack of productivity.

I never buy a bull without seeing a recent semen test. That and a scrotal circumference over the breed minimum (along with the usual criteria of conformation and EPDs). The people I buy from guarantee their bulls to be breeding sound, but then they also have a vet test before their sale dates. No complaints so far.

One of the best Charlois bulls that I have came from a breeder who's ethics I wish were followed by more people in the purebred industry. If a male calf needs assistance either during the birth or to get on the teat, they band him. It sure shows in the bulls that they market. I had one bull of theirs seperate with a small group of 25 cows, and the next spring I was sure impressed by the vigour in those calves that he sired. Not one assist either delivery or sucking and the calves were just what the cow could comfortably deliver...ie. 1600lb cows gave birth to 120lb calves and 1300lb cows gave birth to 105lb calves. Grew like weeds, too. Gotta love it.

Dcara, sounds like that poor bull was worked too hard. Bet that guy would have tried to return him after the breeding season was done no matter how good that bull looked.

Take care.

dcara":gug24ozg said:
What are some of the typical terms of a bull sales you guys use? Are bulls typically garunteed to perform, or just sperm tested? I heard of a guy that tried to return a 2 yr old bull for loss of condition after the bull had been running with about 60 cows this past summer. Not sure how many the bull bred. On the other hand, if the bull had not been so busy on that many cows the guy might have tried to return him due to lack of productivity.

The terms and conditions of our test station bull sale guarantees the bull for one breeding season. When we sell a bull at home, we guarantee that he will breed cows for a year. We always provide a current (30 day) BSE exam. The only bull we've every replaced was a neighbor's bull that he claimed was mean to the cows??? He said the bull chased cows and calves until they were exhausted! Kinda odd, but IMO, if you expect to stay in the seedstock business, you have to do whatever it takes to make the customers happy. We have another neighbor who has a reputation of returning bulls. When he came to look at our bulls, we've made it a point to price them pretty high, knowing his reputation for buying cheaper bulls. But this year he coughed up the money and got one of our bulls. It'll be interesting next year to see if he wants to return him. Oh, well....

Gave 1300 for a two year old a couple years ago. The same place is selling at 1500 now. Traded him this year for an older but bigger bull, not sure if I did the right thing financially or not, but if I sold on the market I might come out ahead if I turned him short term and he still looks good.

The last bull we bought was in the spring, and we paid $2400 for a 4 year old Simmental with 100 straws of semen. For a registered bull, we generally pay between $1800 - $3000.

I haven't sold any bulls for years, other than a really really sweet Simbrah bull I kept this year and sold to a guy down the road with a bunch of Herefords. We guarantee any bull to be a breeder, and will replace or refund the $$ if they don't turn out to be. This bull is only 8 months old, so he's not old enough to be tested.

Bought a two year old Simm-Angus bull yesterday from the neighbor. Paid $150 delivered. I liked the Sire he was off of and his Dam is a nice looking cow. The neighbor said he'd be lucky to get that for him at the auction mart. He also offered to give me three cows for nothing, otherwise he's just going to shoot them and bury them. He says they are well into their teens and they'd cost him more to ship than the bullet will cost to shoot them. Have a nice day from Canada.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3budm1ih said:
Bought a two year old Simm-Angus bull yesterday from the neighbor. Paid $150 delivered. I liked the Sire he was off of and his Dam is a nice looking cow. The neighbor said he'd be lucky to get that for him at the auction mart. He also offered to give me three cows for nothing, otherwise he's just going to shoot them and bury them. He says they are well into their teens and they'd cost him more to ship than the bullet will cost to shoot them. Have a nice day from Canada.

Sounds like that "neighbor" is a half bubble off of plumb...lol. Doesn't he/she realize that you can EAT cattle? If too old, grind into hamburger. :roll: Three cows would feed a family of 2 for 2-3 years...

There was the Angus Advantage 7 th annual bull sale here in NC on Vetrans day. The first 25 bulls averaged $2975.00. Some of them were over 4000.00 for a few lots. Most were around 1500lb. But they got cheaper as the sale went on. They sold over 200 bulls .

polledbull":1wjhuvu7 said:
The first 25 bulls averaged $2975.00. Some of them were over 4000.00 for a few lots. Most were around 1500lb. But they got cheaper as the sale went on. They sold over 200 bulls .

What was the average on the total sale. That's what's important.

Sounds like that "neighbor" is a half bubble off of plumb...lol. Doesn't he/she realize that you can EAT cattle? If too old, grind into hamburger. Three cows would feed a family of 2 for 2-3 years...

Thats part of the problem. There is so much hamburger up here right now, its not worth much. By the time you pay commissions and freight to get them to the auction mart, it costs you money. There's no place to get cattle slaughtered either. I've got two booked in for Jan 11/2005. That was the earliest slaughter date that they had when I booked them on June 22. Good Luck.

fellersbarnoneranch":27y3uftb said:

I copied this from the ranchers.net site. This sale was in Alabama:

"The averags from the Uniontown sale:
90 2 year old bulls $2191
Angus $2327
Charolais $1760
Chiangus $2156
Simmental $2444
open heifers $690"

Angus average at the OBI sale last month at Stillwater, OK was around $2600. They don't have the final averages posted on the site yet; I'll keep watching.

I'm planning to go to the Limousin bull sale next month. Maybe I can get some info for you from there....

Cattle Rack Rancher":fw1lei6q said:
Sounds like that "neighbor" is a half bubble off of plumb...lol. Doesn't he/she realize that you can EAT cattle? If too old, grind into hamburger. Three cows would feed a family of 2 for 2-3 years...

Thats part of the problem. There is so much hamburger up here right now, its not worth much. By the time you pay commissions and freight to get them to the auction mart, it costs you money. There's no place to get cattle slaughtered either. I've got two booked in for Jan 11/2005. That was the earliest slaughter date that they had when I booked them on June 22. Good Luck.

It hurts my heart when I see what a situation Canadian cattlemen are in. :( Good luck. Hopefully, things will turn around soon for you guys.

Latest posts