BULL PRICE

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":26x851gq said:
dun":26x851gq said:
I've seen some rule of thumb about a bull being worth whatever X number of calves are worth. Surely someone knows what the X is!

X = 5.
I knew someone would know what X was!

dun":2eic9ofc said:
I've seen some rule of thumb about a bull being worth whatever X number of calves are worth. Surely someone knows what the X is!
I have heard that you can afford to give what your 5 best sters calves would bring or 3 heqavy bred springers.

the pice you pay for a bull depends on your bull needs.are you running him with reg cows.if so youll want to buy the best bvull you can afford to go with your bloodlines.if a comm herd.then you want a bull thatll produce the heaviest calves possable at weaning time.but you also want that bull to produce replacement heifers.

Frankie":26u5t4eb said:
dun":26u5t4eb said:

X = 5.

How many cows does this take into consideration. I would think a bull that threw 40 calves a yr would be worth more than one that only threw 20.

MF135":1d0l0252 said:
Frankie":1d0l0252 said:
dun":1d0l0252 said:

X = 5.

How many cows does this take into consideration. I would think a bull that threw 40 calves a yr would be worth more than one that only threw 20.

You gotta quit thinkin so much. You obviously don't think much before you post or you wouldn't say things like that.

the # of cows a bull can breed depends on the bull an his age.we run 1 bull with 40 to 50 cows.an he is with them year round.as we calve year round.an he has no trouble getting them bred.alot of people say 1 bull to 25 cows.now if i was running a 90 or 120 day breeding season i prlly wwouldnt run more than 1 bull to 35 cows.

I am still a beginner. I started with rented bulls.

One of the things that I was told before but as usual did not really register is that a bad cow or heifer means you have ONE bad calf.

A bad or less then ideal bull is HALF OF YOUR HERD. It is worth a bit more for a bull than a cow because the bull is going to be HALF of all of your calves' genetics next spring.

In the 40-50 cow scenario in this thread, that bull is going to affect 40 or 50 calves just next spring. And if you retain any heifers he is going to be a large part of your herd for generations.

It seems very important to overall profitability to choose a bull very carefully. As has been said here before, bull quality is not necessarily directly related to bull cost. But you do want to make sure you have a good bull that you know something about and not just something with nuts from the sale barn. jmho. jim

bigbull338":pqetb3rm said:
the # of cows a bull can breed depends on the bull an his age.we run 1 bull with 40 to 50 cows.an he is with them year round.as we calve year round.an he has no trouble getting them bred.alot of people say 1 bull to 25 cows.now if i was running a 90 or 120 day breeding season i prlly wwouldnt run more than 1 bull to 35 cows.

Pretty much the same here. Some are purposefully calving in the fall etc.

3waycross":2w8i6m8q said:
You gotta quit thinkin so much. You obviously don't think much before you post or you wouldn't say things like that.

Average Cost = total cost / the output quantity
Bull 1) purchase price $3000 if he throws 40 calves/yr over 5 years = 200 calves at an average cost of $15 per calf.
Bull 2) purchase price $3000 if he throws 20 calves/yr over 5 years = 100 calves at an average cost of $30 per calf.

Clearly Bull 1 has a higher value as he has a lower unit cost. Increased production at a lower unit cost creates greater room for profit.

MF135":1etshfio said:
3waycross":1etshfio said:

Bull 1) purchase price $3000 if he throws 40 calves/yr over 5 years = 200 calves at an average cost of $15 per calf.
Bull 2) purchase price $3000 if he throws 20 calves/yr over 5 years = 100 calves at an average cost of $30 per calf.

Clearly Bull 1 has a higher value as he has a lower unit cost. Increased production at a lower unit cost creates greater room for profit.

......................and you just keep on talking. Yours is quite possibly the most flawed logic in the history of this forum. Please stop. Tell the voices you can't go on.

3waycross":x5hsgy4n said:
MF135":x5hsgy4n said:
3waycross":x5hsgy4n said:

......................and you just keep on talking. Yours is quite possibly the most flawed logic in the history of this forum. Please stop. Tell the voices you can't go on.

Just goes to show what an uneducated simpleton you really are... :roll:

MF135":3eghm6wf said:
Just goes to show what an uneducated simpleton you really are... :roll:

MF135, if your education is what has netted you your misapplied logic in this thread, I'd consider asking your school for a refund.

George

Or you could go look up HerefordSire over in Hope, Arkansas and he could confuse you even more! :tiphat:

alacattleman":cfyntlgb said:
if yall dont shut up, im gonna go out of my dam mind :cowboy:

What's the matter AC tired of trying to reason with him. Take it from a simpleton it ain't working!

3waycross":3p0vz37i said:
alacattleman":3p0vz37i said:

What's the matter AC tired of trying to reason with him. Take it from a simpleton it ain't working!

NO, 3 way, you were referred to as an "uneducated simpleton", but don't get the big head as that is not an elite group.

TexasBred":3qar5aq7 said:
3waycross":3qar5aq7 said:
alacattleman":3qar5aq7 said:

NO, 3 way, you were referred to as an "uneducated simpleton", but don't get the big head as that is not an elite group.
work here a few days,,, you'll rethink that one :cowboy:

MF135":2c8v8t0u said:
Average Cost = total cost / the output quantity[/u]

That is how someone with a manufacturing background would look at it. In reality, you are pushing the limit for a bull to sire 40+ calves a year UNLESS you are on a split spring and fall calving season. I know some people calve year round, but I have never been able to make a summer calf (June - August) weigh enough or bring enough at weaning without starting a stocker calf program. 40 calves out of one bull in a 60 to 75 day season is asking a lot since he may stay paired up with one cow when one or two may be in heat the same day.

TexasBred":2aub7u95 said:
3waycross":2aub7u95 said:
alacattleman":2aub7u95 said:

Oh HE{{ you ruined my day. I thought it was some kind of compliment. Thanks lot for clearing that up.

[
Oh HE{{ you ruined my day. I thought it was some kind of compliment. Thanks lot for clearing that up.

Well for whatever it's worth I'd rather be a member of the uneducated simpleton club than the educated idiots confab.

BC":2flfc601 said:
MF135":2flfc601 said:
Average Cost = total cost / the output quantity[/u]

That is how someone with a manufacturing background would look at it. In reality, you are pushing the limit for a bull to sire 40+ calves a year UNLESS you are on a split spring and fall calving season. I know some people calve year round, but I have never been able to make a summer calf (June - August) weigh enough or bring enough at weaning without starting a stocker calf program. 40 calves out of one bull in a 60 to 75 day season is asking a lot since he may stay paired up with one cow when one or two may be in heat the same day.

...or how anyone with any accounting sense would look at it. Some say 40 is too many, others are saying they've had success with 4yr old bulls breeding over 50. I've the few years I've had these 39 cows w/ 1 bull, I've never had a problem with open cows. My calving season is longer than some (close to 90 days) I'd like them to all be born earlier in the year around Feb1 but their calving was staggered when I bought them. I'm sure the amount of acres a bull has to travel is a huge factor for a bull's capacity. Underutilizing a bull increases the 'natural service' cost per calf. More cost = less profit .