Bull power

Help Support CattleToday:

Knersie,

I noticed the very wavy hair on thier foreheads--that only means one thing--very fertile masculine bulls. Nice job.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3vcgitvz said:
Knersie - it goes without saying, your bulls are great.
I notice you are branding now. Is this a new practice since I don't see it in the older picture?

Its the brand of the test centre where the bulls have been on a growth test.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":30keswha said:
woops! now I noticed you changed SA to 3rd World!
When you put bulls on the test centre, do they "qualify" them & the producer has the ability to put them in a sale at the end of the test period?

Aren't you expecting too much of the 3rd world now?

Yes they are "qualified", but there is no sale afterwards.

Okay, another dumb amateur question from the gallery.

Knersie, you say you are using some bulls for clean up on your registered herd. If you don't know which bull was the sire, how do you register the calves?

These are the bulls we have turned out. The first is a bull we just bought out at Kevin Schultz's sale. He bred about 10 cows already, and now we pulled him to get some semen pulled tomorrow. He is an M326 out of Governess L64. He will be put into a pasture with 16 breeding females, most of those should have already been settled.
U84.jpg

The next bull will be breeding our heifers, plus cover a few cows before they get moved to a bigger community pasture. He is a Progress out of a P606 cow which is pictured on my website.
farmpics008.jpg

djinwa":34we50y5 said:
Okay, another dumb amateur question from the gallery.

Knersie, you say you are using some bulls for clean up on your registered herd. If you don't know which bull was the sire, how do you register the calves?

I synchronise and AI the registered herd and then two weeks later the clean up bulls to go in. Only one bull per pasture so the early born calves are the AI sired calves and the later born calves the clean up sire's calves in his herd.

It's usually not a problem at all to know whether its an AI sired calf or not, but if there are a few that I doubt about I pull a few tail hairs and have them DNA tested. All sires used in registered herds are required to be DNA tested here anyway so that's more than enough incentive to make sure you get it right.

In the commercial herd I don't always know who sired who, although I'll keep the cows that would potentially give me heifers worth keeping in a seperate pasture with a high maternal bull if the pasture allows that.

Overall better looking bulls than you normally see posted, but not too many folks posted pics though. What you really need round here this time of year though, is a bull with a good flyswatter

IMG_2347111.jpg

And enough flex and balance to be able to use it. :)
IMG_23481111.jpg

Here's our Churchill bull. Just turned him in with the cows today.
I about fell over laughing when he was running around chasing the cows. He settled down and went right to work.

52109013.jpg

Latest posts