Bull POOP

Help Support CattleToday:

kypops

Reaction score
my bull is 17mo old and the last 2 days his poo is very lose. when he go its all one stream . I have 2 heifers also.they are fine..
But do i give him Kopectate .or wait for a while to see if it gets thicker.is there any thing else i need to give him? dont for get i am new at this cow
stuff,but enjoy it.
thanks for any and all the help i have got off of this board.thanks again to all you farmers out there to help us new one.

As much rain as we have had in our part of Ky a lot of our cows look as if they have been on lush spring grass. Which our grass has stayed pretty lush this season. Is there much clover in the pasture? Might be nothing as I got a few that if the grass is lush they are pretty thin. Does he seem normal other wise?

I've had the same problem off and on with my black Angus bull, he is now 3 years old and for much of his life he has been the same way, one stream of very loose manure. We got him when he was weaned and he always looked a little rough, longer hair and grew up rather than out, but last year I wormed him with Ivermectin pour-on and he really filled out and lost the longer hair but he still goes in a stream straight out the back end most of the time. Looks good and his calves are the best we've ever had. I've heard that bulls are more sensitive than cows and I've seen my share of rodeo bulls that have the "guacamole but" as the rodeo announcers call it. Anybody else have bulls that are this way?

shloh1981":1unhjour said:
I've had the same problem off and on with my black Angus bull, he is now 3 years old and for much of his life he has been the same way, one stream of very loose manure. We got him when he was weaned and he always looked a little rough, longer hair and grew up rather than out, but last year I wormed him with Ivermectin pour-on and he really filled out and lost the longer hair but he still goes in a stream straight out the back end most of the time. Looks good and his calves are the best we've ever had. I've heard that bulls are more sensitive than cows and I've seen my share of rodeo bulls that have the "guacamole but" as the rodeo announcers call it. Anybody else have bulls that are this way?

Have him tested for johnes a simple fecal sample and blood test can determine this. He is getting close to the age to really start showing symptoms.

kypops":5zwgphtn said:
my bull is 17mo old and the last 2 days his poo is very lose. when he go its all one stream . I have 2 heifers also.they are fine..
But do i give him Kopectate .or wait for a while to see if it gets thicker.is there any thing else i need to give him?

Diarrhea can be an indication of Johns Disease(although, at his age I doubt it. It usually doesn't show up until 3 years of age), it can be an indication of acidosis, it can be an indication of illness, or it can be an indication of simply too much protein in his diet. What are you feeding him, how much, and how often? If pasture, what kind? If hay, have you had it tested so you know the protein and TDN content and can cut it with grass hay if neccessary?

Thanks for the info. Regarding both bulls. I tend think Johnes is not the case with my 3 year old bull because he's had this problem on and off since he was weaned and he actually looks great and really filled out with the flush of green grass this spring. Also not sure about the hay because none my other cattle have this problem. I tend to think its just the way he is. His piles look pretty normal, it just comes out fast and straight!

Latest posts