Bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I spotted this guy on the web, and he's close, don't know his age yet. What do you think? Ive been warned , but this is the direction I'd really like to go for a couple of years.Santa gertrudis2.jpgSanta gertrudis.jpg

More sheath then I like. I can't tell about his length if he isn't a long bodied bull I would pass. If your not intended to make some cows out of him I would reevaluate the plan.

Usually I avoid the posts like this but what on earth about this bull is a direction that anyone would go? His bony hips? The slab sides? The money you will lose on calves like him?

We are all trying to produce the largest amount of high quality carcass for the lowest inputs to make a profit. It has nothing to do with what you or I like. The cattle business is now which forage operations can stay in business running cattle that will produce Choice.

More sheath then I like. I can't tell about his length if he isn't a long bodied bull I would pass. If your not intended to make some cows out of him I would reevaluate the plan.
It is more than I like also, and I'm not done looking. The long game is cows, x with hereford and char.

scurried is polled. I Try to avoid both as horned cattle do better in general here. The exception is most of my heifer bulls have been polled the last 15 years.

What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-180450_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028-180450_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Really why are the leaves still so green??? Isn't it almost November? What the heck ya'll is going on?! We are going to be doing leaves Thanksgiving.

This is our last bull, everything is bred except the new heifers, he is gone, all our calves are no.1s. Had a bunch of char / gert crosses years ago, and they were some of the best cattle ever on the place. We have some good broody cb cows and I think a gert cross with them will succeed, I may be wrong. I didn't particularly like this particular guy so much, for all the reasons mentioned.

Attachments

• 67490080_2617060614971669_1380413720273879040_n.jpg
    67490080_2617060614971669_1380413720273879040_n.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210926_161939.jpg
    20210926_161939.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • lost heifer.jpg
    lost heifer.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
Snoop, I understand what you are trying to recreate but ask yourself if it was the mixture of breeds that created the good calves or was it the quality of the bull that was used. My personal dislike (I realize my personal feelings have no bearing on the conversation) is what I call mongrel cattle that have a little bit of everything in them just because it adds a level of uncertainty to the offspring, I want consistency in my calf crop. I think you could use an Angus, Hereford, Lim, Sim, Char or most any breed of bull and get the good calves you're looking for if the bull is of good quality. Don't look back at what you had, instead look forward to what you want, and the bull in your original post isn't going to take you there. The bull you had before was much thicker and heavily muscled than the one you're looking at now. Expand your bull search options and find one that is top quality for your budget, it will be money well spent.

Latest posts