Bull Pic / What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

ND Angus

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my Sitz Tradition calf. He is out of an 8180 cow. He just turned a year old and is 1485lbs. What do you think?

HPIM0204.JPG

thats 1 heck of a nice bull calf.you can tell he has the breeding behind him.he will be ready to turn out an breed soon.

he's really thick but not as thick as the Moderator son behind him. They each get a 5 gallon bucket of ground corn and oats each day.

We have a heated wash bay and the FFA kids practice clipping on what ever I have standing around. I raised him.

That is a fantastic looking bull. I would never use him no matter what breed he is. If you are going to slaughter all of his offspring then he would be an excellent choice for a herdsire. He has demonstrated that he can convert large amounts of grain into beef. Personally I believe in keeping replacement heifers. If you keep heifers sired by this bull, how will you know if they will be able to maintain their condition and bring home a calf every year grazing on grass in the summer and eating low cost stored forages in the winter? I'm not saying you should refrain from giving bulls any grain. I just don't believe in feeding them a ration that is designed for feedlot steers that are going to be slaughtered.

ND Angus":91z7hk2v said:
I guess I don't call a 5 gallon bucket of 25% corn and 75% oats a feedlot feed.

Best I can figure a 5 gal bucket of corn and oats weighs between 20 - 25 lbs at least that's what it weighs in Oklahoma. So he grew to almost 1500 lbs at a year of age only eating 20 -25 lbs a day?

He was born on 2-13-07 and was weaned on 10-3-07. He was then in a pen of about 30 head getting 6 - 5 gallon pails of corn/oats a day 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Then about mid January we decided to keep him so we pulled him out and SLOWLY moved him up to the 5 gallon bucket a day, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. So he has only been on the full pail for about 2 weeks. We want him in good shape for we have some pretty rugged country. Yes he has a little extra on him but not like some we have seen at sales we have gone to.

ND Angus":1c6dtqn5 said:
He was born on 2-13-07 and was weaned on 10-3-07. He was then in a pen of about 30 head getting 6 - 5 gallon pails of corn/oats a day 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Then about mid January we decided to keep him so we pulled him out and SLOWLY moved him up to the 5 gallon bucket a day, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. So he has only been on the full pail for about 2 weeks. We want him in good shape for we have some pretty rugged country. Yes he has a little extra on him but not like some we have seen at sales we have gone to.

So from October to January he was only eating 5 lbs a day ( 5 gal bucket = 25lb X 6 = 150lb / 30 hd = 5lb ) and still grew to that size. That is an amazing feed conversion. 5lb of grain converting to almost 4lbs a day weight gain :?: :?: :?:

Jovid":pnhfsc3r said:
ND Angus":pnhfsc3r said:

So from October to January he was only eating 5 lbs a day ( 5 gal bucket = 25lb X 6 = 150lb / 30 hd = 5lb ) and still grew to that size. That is an amazing feed conversion. 5lb of grain converting to almost 4lbs a day weight gain :?: :?: :?:

He must be getting hay or rye grass or something else. That bull got big; fast!

Free choice hay perhaps? At least when he was in with the others I would guess.

Maybe just the 5 gal bucket now.

Maybe there was a creep feeder involved to aide mama.

He's thick for sure, but I'd like to see him a little more cleaner throughout the shoulders and possibly a better hindquarter/ deeper rear flank. I know this is just a picture, but based on his rear picture, I think he could be wider based and show a tad more muscle expression. He is angus and it seems like some of those traits are lacked in angus bred cattle. Nonetheless I like him, and for him being home raised I think you've done an awesome job! :clap:

With his weight being over 1400 lbs at his age, he will make anybody a fine bull. His flank looks like most Angus bulls, but his weight is more than those I see coming through the big sales where they have free acess to sileage at all times and hay are fed ground feed. A lot of the bulls there don't have long hips like a horse, they have hips like a bull. He looks very nice to me and by what I have been told so far, I would bring him home. But I would have still a few other factors to decide. Ultrasound, milk, and his scrotal numbers.
Chuckie

Nice bull. How did he scan?

From what I've seeing & reading lately, there are very few here that could raise a bull that nice.

They're afraid to give the amount of feed needed for expressing their genetic potential! :lol:

He's not a bad calf. He's definitely been converting some amount of feed to gain that kind of wait. It would be interesting to know what he's had from birth until present to get him to that weight. 5lbs per head per day certainly didn't do it. He would have needed forage of exceptional quality, possibly as high in nutrients as the grain, for the amount of growth he had.

Even with the growth, he's going to be a bit lacking in rear quarter for my liking. He looks more butterball fat than in condition to go out and service cows. Everybody likes a bull in good flesh, and he's definitely not short in that. I'd like to see him in a bit different condition...not like he's ready for slaughter, but not like he's just completed his first breeding season. Good luck to you. I hope he works well for you.

EC

I have never been to a sale where the bulls are sold in breeding condition. They are sold in fat condition. They waddle in and out of the ring. If one came through that was in breeding condition, I would wonder what was wrong with him. The others are showing their ability to gain weight, this one looks like he has a problem. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but that is how I see it.
Chuckie

Latest posts