Bull pic for Keren and JHH

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Don't want to hijack El Putzo's thread since he is already ready to fight with me. ;-)

The bullcalf you liked is 0730, here he is at just short of 12 months. He sold shortly after the photos were taken and has successfully bred 26 females before he was 15 months old. I haven't seen him recently, but will go and take a few pics soonish, he isn't too far from me.

Phenotypically is he outstanding in my opinion, but he has a slight twist on his rear right foot when walking, otherwise I would have retained him for use in the commercial herd at the very least.
100_4187.jpg

100_4217.jpg

In this pic he is just short of 11 months
100_3932.jpg

he is a nice thick bull calf.an he looks real good.the only thing about him walking an twisting his foot.is that in the future he could mess his ankle up an walk with a limp.

I luv herfrds":1z5xnz5j said:
You always have great looking cattle Knersie and you always give very sound advice. :D :tiphat:

I'll second that. Fantastic bull calf Knersie :mrgreen:

KNERSIE":1z5xnz5j said:
Phenotypically is he outstanding in my opinion, but he has a slight twist on his rear right foot when walking,

Dont you hate that?

KNERSIE":359fnk5u said:
... but he has a slight twist on his rear right foot when walking,...

Is this something a couple/few hoof trims could fix?

Ryan

Ryan":2kjf9u7q said:
KNERSIE":2kjf9u7q said:
... but he has a slight twist on his rear right foot when walking,...

Is this something a couple/few hoof trims could fix?

Ryan

To be honest I don't know, he didn't do it as a young calf and don't seem to do it as badly now that he is older, I guess I just don't believe that herdbull prospects should need running repairs to keep them going.

northtexas":u57q9za0 said:
>>Top bull. I'd use him without question.<<

I'm suprised you'd say that. Is he red enough for you? How about eye pigment? I thought you liked more?

Those seem to be your regular complaints on here. Not red enough and not enough eye pigment.

How much more than 100% on both eyes and scrotum do you need?

To be honest I don't know, he didn't do it as a young calf and don't seem to do it as badly now that he is older, I guess I just don't believe that herdbull prospects should need running repairs to keep them going.
I'm with you on not breeding a bull with foot or leg issues of any sort. We bought a young bull last year that was gorgeous, but shortly after we got him home he injured his back leg to a degree that was only slightly visible at certain times. Most of the time he appeared perfectly sound. But we ended up with some open cows because he wasn't breeding vigorously - vet said most likely due to the leg injury making it uncomfortable for him to mount.
I just hope it was a true injury and not some kind of structural problem he passed along to the calves he did produce before he left. Lesson learned for me.

Seems like I have seen the pics before, but any way I'm always impressed with your cattle.

Alan

northtexas":6rkp3ya8 said:
I like the bull Knersie. I'm just gigging the American basher.

I'm sure if one of the American posters had posted the bull we would have heard about how he wouldn't work in the wilds of Australia. Too hairy, too yellow, too much white, not enough pigment, yada, yada, yada.....

I've had a few nice comments from the Aussie, It could just be my accent though. :???: :lol:

Australian":3r3mael3 said:
Top bull. I'd use him without question.

Australian-

I had no disagreement with any of the other posts prior to yours, but - to say that you would "use him without question" - I have to question that remark. Use him, perhaps, but without question ?- I can't go that far. Any seed bull that displays a flaw, or a blemish, or ANY potential problem that may be a heritable genetic characteristic, especially one which could involve his ability to breed cows now, or later in his life - or pass on to his progeny, certainly should be considered questionable as a breeder. And to keep him as a breeder in a Registered herd? I really think that YOU would question the advisability of that decision - on second thought.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts