Bull Pens

Help Support CattleToday:

RHARPSONE

Reaction score
I am in need of a bull pen, any suggestion on size? My father has always just let the bull run. I am trying to tighten up my calving season and grow out bulls. Max bull would be 4 in the pen. How much room do they need.

RHARPSONE":13q62fch said:
I am in need of a bull pen, any suggestion on size? My father has always just let the bull run. I am trying to tighten up my calving season and grow out bulls. Max bull would be 4 in the pen. How much room do they need.
On feed and pasture or pasture only
When I was selling bulls I have ran as high as 6 on 3 acres with feed.
You had better have fences hotter than the fires of he!!.
Bulls dig holes, beller,fight and fornicate and start over.
You will be shocked at what they can tear up when you put them in a lot. That will not stop all of them, I had one that would wade though a seven strand barb wire fence with four hot wires running 6,000 volts. He went to the salebarn.
Secondly be prepared to sell a bull or two some bulls will not be held and once one start's getting out to the cow's he will never stop trying and you will spend a small fortune trying to stop him.

Currently have a Awesome bull. Super mello fellow but don't get in his way come breeding season. He has went thru one weak spot in fence two weeks ago and this morning found him in my heifer pen. He went over two cattle panels. He is not aggressive just ready to do his job. I let the girls out with him till i can get new pen built. It was only two weeks early, 14.5 months old.

I am figuring out that is why dad never pulled the bull. He would rent pasture down the road to house his heifers till they were old enough. Thanks for the useful information. Any and all advise welcomed.

I only put my bulls up February thru May 15th. I utilize my working/catching pen. Its about 7 feet tall. I have 7 tenths of an acre fenced of joining it. The fence is 5 strads of hot wire. They go up about head high evenly spread out. If they want stay in I sell them.

I tried it without success and have decided to rent a pasture to raise the heifers in away from the farm.

Latest posts