bull penis

Help Support CattleToday:

Dean the hobby farmer

Reaction score
How can you tell if the bull has a problem with his penis.I might be wrong but I was told that if the penis comes down straight he will not produce then if the penis comes down on a angle leaning frontward he can breed maybe I am wrong let me know if I am wrong.This bull is not mine is he rented. Thanks Dean

You shoulda had the owner do a BSE exam before you took him to your place. That is a Breeding Soundness Exam.

certherfbeef":j7iwso9n said:
You shoulda had the owner do a BSE exam before you took him to your place. That is a Breeding Soundness Exam.

Wouldn't that just tell you his fertility level? It wouldnt tell you if he was injured or deformed or anything, or would it?

eric":3sn4qgek said:
certherfbeef":3sn4qgek said:

Wouldn't that just tell you his fertility level? It wouldnt tell you if he was injured or deformed or anything, or would it?

Any vet worth his salt will check the penis for abnormalities during protrusion.
He also checks scrotum for physical deformaties. Shape, size, firmness, etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies I will try get hold of the owner tomorrow and talk to him about the bull .I do not think that he will be happy to hear this because he just traded his 4 year old bull for this that he and several other people got calves from his old bull that he had thanks again .Dean

i have seen bulls that hang straight down get the job done and i have sold an angled one that was wide right and obviously wasnt getting the job done. BSE is good idea but it doesnt tell you anything about libido. i'd watch him to see if hes 1) straight, 2) sexually active, 3)hitting the target and then 4)make a mental note or record of who he has serviced and make sure they dont come back into heat.