Bull pen

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I'm looking at building a bull pen about 150X40 out of this stuff. Any thoughts?

We used to keep the bulls in a pen for several months out of the year. We now have them out in a small pasture...three or so acres.
Less fence repair, healthier bulls, better shape cause they get exercise daily going for water. We are happier with them out in the field.
What is that material steel pannels? If you are going to build a pen, Minimum, 6" posts, steel rods.

RR

I like the distance between the horizontal bars. But just what is that "stuff"?

Limomike":1wt40l8u said:
I like the distance between the horizontal bars. But just what is that "stuff"?
inch and a quarter pipe.
We've alwasy kept a bull (when we've had a bull) with a steer or a couple of bred cows when he's not used. Just gets to be a pain in the butt having to figure the pasture rotations and stuff when he's out in a pasture. Figured penning him sith a steer for company fram Feb through may and late july till all the calves are weaned would just make things a whole lot simpler.

Why such a tight spacing on the pipe? Don't know what inch and quarter would cost to build that but I know if you used 2" schedule 40 it would cost you right at $540 in materials alone for that design.

See a lot of guys who use that continues fence. They all seem to like it, but suggest putting a hot on the inside for bulls. :D

What gauge is it? I was shown some like that but at 16 gauge.

Why such a tight spacing on the pipe? Don't know what inch and quarter would cost to build that but I know if you used 2" schedule 40 it would cost you right at $540 in materials alone for that design.
A lot harder for them to get their head between the bars. I priced just the materials locally and it came to 136 bucks a section/

I luv herfrds":vy7uz7q0 said:
See a lot of guys who use that continues fence. They all seem to like it, but suggest putting a hot on the inside for bulls. :D

What gauge is it? I was shown some like that but at 16 gauge.
It's 14 gauge. Each section weighs around 175 pounds. If I wanted to use hotwire in that area I would just build the pen out of a couple of strands of hot instead of using pipe.

That's not bad. How are you planning on welding it? I've always grooved the ends and joined them flush but I've also seen where some people just weld it to the outside. This would be easier and they seem to like it but it just doesn't seem as stong or as neat to me if it is done this way. I'm looking at beefing up one of my compartments in a coral hub. Seems the bull's decided to have a cage match inside it the other day and levelled one fence and broke three six by six posts off at the ground. I'm thinking of replacing it with something a lot stronger. I like the 20 foot pipe and might even build the whole thing out of 2" stock but if I do I don't see why I'd need so many rungs. But maybe I do. Undoubtedly these midnight cage matches get pretty intense.

Jogeephus":38kcibzv said:
That's not bad. How are you planning on welding it? I've always grooved the ends and joined them flush but I've also seen where some people just weld it to the outside.

There is a solid sleeve that slides inside of each pipe end and joins the ends that way. Then they are just welded to the posts.

:oops: :oops: Sorry Dun, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were going to build it like that. So you can buy a whole 20 foot section like that for that price? Can't see how you could go wrong myself.

Jogeephus":2biyo8ac said:
:oops: :oops: Sorry Dun, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were going to build it like that. So you can buy a whole 20 foot section like that for that price? Can't see how you could go wrong myself.
At 89 bucks a section all put together I figure the price is hard to beat.
The reason for the size is so that he gets at least some exercise and also because of the mud in the spring.

p.s. Dun... where you getting these? We're looking at reinforcing (redoing) some of the fencing in our bull pen...would like to possibly get some if there's more to be had...someone making them for you?

I thought about building some like that, except that I was going to use less horizontal rungs and weld a 4' feedlot panel to the inside of them 1' off the ground. I was going to make mine 16' to match the feedlot panels and use the other 4' pieces as vertical bars.

My only concern with keeping a bull in a pen like that is it tends to make them more aggressive if its in their disposition to be agressive.

Dun
The endless fencing panels work ok if all of your ground is on a level plane if it isn't the panels look like sh#t because you can't get them to match up correctly
I really don't care for them and I have figured fence prices and you can usually put up the pipe fence cheaper and have alot less frustration doing it

dun":uan3u23o said:
A lot harder for them to get their head between the bars. I priced just the materials locally and it came to 136 bucks a section/

I can get you the materials for $96 per section maybe a lil cheaper if you buy 2500 ft

KNERSIE":26ax8ms1 said:
My only concern with keeping a bull in a pen like that is it tends to make them more aggressive if its in their disposition to be agressive.

He'll be close to the cows and will have a companion with him. That's pretty much the way he is now wxcept he has a pasture to roam in instead of a smaller pen.

Latest posts