Bull or Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks to me like you have a bull with deformed testicles. Someone messed up.

In the future, keep the knife sharp and as has already been said.... count to 2.

Earl Thigpen":1fnkqc39 said:
And this will stir up a lot of conversation but removing the testicles and feeding them to the dogs IS the only sure way.

haha people here like to get those mountain oysters. They'd be angry if we threw them to the dog. But I agree, take a knife to him and make sure you have two seeds when you are done.

I went back and had a second look at the pictures after a few people said the testicles didnt look normal.

Now, maybe I misunderstood and those people meant that what was there didnt look normal for a steer. But to me, those testicles look quite normal for a bull. Am I missing something here??

325abn, the meat from a bull this young will be fine. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about castrating him now, I would just go ahead and slaughter and eat him as planned. His extra hormones means extra muscle for you. And if he breeds his mum in the meantime . . . who really cares? To be frank -- its not going to matter. You said you need the cow bred anyway, if I'm understanding the situation right, the cow is a single cow kept to produce freezer meat, you will be eating the calf, the calf will not be retained, sold as a breeder or shown. Linebreeding is not recommended for beginners when breeding cattle, because it requires higher cull pressure (selective pressure). But if the end product (the calf) is terminal from the get-go, then it really isnt an issue. So the only drawback is if the animals are carrying recessive deformities, and chances are an affected calf will not live anyway.

Let us know what he tastes like when you get him done, he's a nice lookin animal.

btw, I think your cow may be a milking shorthorn crossed with a white face, not a red face ;-)

325abn":38csp11d said:
Yes a White face.

Typo on my part.

Karen gave you good advice. It works and is simple to follow. Remember if he bred his Mother you just can't keep a heifer out of that mating. That's what she means by terminal.

I am really surprised that your friend with the burdizzo missed both testicles, possibly his emasculator is defective. If they are left in the closed position for storage it wears out the spring mechanism (it's not a spring). A burdizzo should clamp hard enough to dent a cigarette rolling paper without cutting it. I have used one for years and only ever had one testicle survive, I redid that one but I don't think he was quite as large as your bull calf. It is tricky to use and not without risks, but banding ain't pretty either. Just easier.

I think the "bull" is going to keep his nuts till the Fall then he will take the trip to the butcher. I think based only on what I have read here and else where that cutting him now will not have that much difference on the beef in the Fall.

For now he is friendly and very managable with only a single strand of electric wire. I can pet him when I feed them and he is not agressive at all.

You know except for the big balls he is still not looking very much like a Bull.

Latest posts